Performance Issues

Charlie

Who doesn't every now and then? Right?

Anyway I think my laptop is having a problem as everything I play seems to be struggling to run smoothly. Everything gets fps drops - even my ET frame rate drops to the teens for minutes at a time. Just using the browser I can notice the slow down, especially typing like this. This laptop is pushing 4-5 years old now and it's wasn't exactly top of the line when it was new. My hard drive is as full as it's ever been with only 73GB left available, would that be a problem? I've ran scans for any crap and deleted temp files and cookies etc fairly recently. I don't have any unusual processes running in the background and it doesn't feel like it's running hot. Something else I can look at? :ETONNER:

need to know few details (like OS version, RAM and etc) but in general:

- try to think about when u noticed this issue if HDD led flashing

- run chkdsk/scandisk for generic errors on HDD

- is seems like probem with OS and it's not game related, but u can try to use this: https://technet.microsoft.com/cs-cz/sysinternals/processexplorer and take look on process that have highest CPU usage or so ...

Feel free to catch me on chat/game and we can take a look on it together ...

Thermals....thermals me thinks still. 

CPUZ and GPUZ should be able to show you the running temperatures while gaming, or your system bios after few minutes of running game. 

Yes, that even if it doesnt feel hot. Thermal compound is probably stone hard and not that good over that time. 

Check your HDD as Eagle said and use that processexplorer. 

Last I would suggest some stupid OS update - that messed it all up :D

I went to chat with Eagle and he pointed me to places. Apparently my laptop is/was running 55 degrees or something. I have a cooling pad but haven't had the need to use it yet. I tried to do a windows update while I went to work, and over 9 hours later it was still looking for updates :| Did a defrag and some witchcraft with my hdd that Eagle told me to do. Will see how my ET performs tonight :)

3 minutes ago, Charlie said:

I went to chat with Eagle and he pointed me to places. Apparently my laptop is/was running 55 degrees or something. I have a cooling pad but haven't had the need to use it yet. I tried to do a windows update while I went to work, and over 9 hours later it was still looking for updates :| Did a defrag and some witchcraft with my hdd that Eagle told me to do. Will see how my ET performs tonight :)

btw. alsodelete all of your cvar_backups first :)

I got similar issues with mine as well and I am fairly sure it is caused by overheating, which is a very common problem for many laptops. Usually for the first 1-2 maps it is fine, but when I play for an extended period I start getting frame drops which kind of makes it unplayable. 

31 minutes ago, P3Sone said:

Take ur etkey and cfgs buy new pc install ET,  paste ur etkey on etmain and ur cfg etpub folder. Then just paly. Problem solved. U can thank me later ;)

What the hell pezwan. For 15y old game you don't need new comp. On any  < 10y old comp you can run it on high settings easily.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, GreatDanton said:

What the hell pezwan. For 15y old game you don't need new comp. On any  < 10y old comp you can run it on high settings easily.

Bullshit

My previous pc couldn't handle 125 fps with even low settings

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, GreatDanton said:

Aint true my second pc is 3years old and cant run ET at high settings. Its runing game lowest settings about stable 90fps. Ofc amd video cards r shit. 

Low and high settings make absolutely no difference for me. If anything I can get more fps on "high settings." But yeah in general laptops are not meant for gaming and I realized that a long time ago.

Nothing I try is fixing the problems. I've tried repairing disk drives, defragging, rolling back drivers, using windows update, cleaning things out with ccleaner and so on. I can't be bothered with the hassle of resetting to factory to see if it fixes it. I've installed some old games and it sucks on everything. ET / Tomb Raider / Mass Effect / Fallout / Borderlands etc etc. But for some reason I can play Hearts of Iron 3 just fine :D With my expert opinion I've come to the conclusion my graphics card is on its' last legs. My laptop froze up the other day and the screen went fuzzy like an old tv, couldn't do a thing. I found my fan or air intake or whatever for my laptop was full of dust and crap, so I guess I burnt something out inside.

Lesson learnt kids, after you have a laptop for nearly 4 or 5 years clean out the fan at least once! Once I get my winter holiday out the way I guess I'll ask Santa for a new laptop.

Now I'll be hogging the panza all the time 8) 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, miraro3 said:

I recommend cleaning the air vents and ventilators of a computer or laptop at least once a year to keep the air flow as optimal as possible. Heat can be very damaging for the electronics in your hardware!

That and if this doesn't do the trick. Changing out the thermal paste should do the simple trick. Process which is somewhat easy yet annoying a bit, and gives u better access to airvents to clean them and fans included. 

6 hours ago, Andy said:

That and if this doesn't do the trick. Changing out the thermal paste should do the simple trick. Process which is somewhat easy yet annoying a bit, and gives u better access to airvents to clean them and fans included. 

I tried doing that to my Xbox 360 back in the day. Never again lol.