Server Crashing Update

Charlie

Hey all.

At the beginning of January I'm sure everyone noticed a couple of crashes on our legacy server. We checked the game logs and server logs but we didn't know whats was causing it. We tried to move the game server to a different/new installation; we applied the latest OS updates; we disabled our custom LUAs and all of this without fixing the problem. The server kept crashing almost every day for an unknown reason.  After a long and really careful investigation, and with really close cooperation with the ET:Legacy development team, we noticed what was connecting all of the crashes together.

We found out someone was able to kill/crash the server but we had no idea how he was doing it. We had an "information embargo" and kept quiet about what we found. We created a trap which redirected this person to a second server running in debug mode. Then the ET:Legacy dev team done awesome work and found what was causing the crashing and created the fix. We applied the fix and from then on the server is stable and working as it was previously.

We honestly need to thank all the time and work Mr, Mini, Eagle and the Legacy devs put in to fixing this.

At the start this person joined our Legacy server, played some games and had a chit-chat with a few our valued players. He realised that his server is nearly empty for the vast majority of the day and he probably wanted to get some players from our server, which is currently most played Legacy mod based server.

So you're asking who this person is now right?

Q'|AlTuM|QuarkClan He is from Quark Clan, from the server which is called "~~~Q'|ETLEGACY OFFICIAL

https://et.trackbase.net/server/47008/

https://et.trackbase.net/player/6102709/

Details are in the spoiler below.

For others in the gaming community: if you require any other details about the exploit he used and about how to fix the server, we will happily provide you with all the information we have.

Spoiler

IP: 

GUIDS:

f8aa59584d51d3a983df5bc39c1b3311

0e7efecbd359018bdf9782d29a7c031a

4fc65e8994fab518412293fd1e4568c3

76910c6ae0d632f9335ff3d47801bd62

5d107921eeef359736c90ba20cb87146

7776F3E4E5B544E19D00EB66C35EFB4E

2153D0E3045B001843FE401680AF9B5A

Names:

^dQ^0'|^7AlTuM^0|^dQuarkClan

^0ETPlayer

^7FullMonty

^lLeG^73^Nnda^lry^7*^l

^SWeed

D3$3RT$T0RM$

Hotcoffee

^B^B^B^B^B^B

Bullet Chaser

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6

• Founders

ETLegacy is the main server at TeamMuppet so regardless of the ip or port number, always use /connect et.teammuppet.com but to answer your question its actually still running on the old port number as well as the 27999

• Founders
2 hours ago, Ctrz said:

I dont even recall seeing these names in server. :-/

Should / could we also repost this info in splatterladder?

He would crash the server upon connecting so you would not have seen his names unless you where sat at the console waiting for him to connect like we where, the majority of the time the dumbass would connect using his home ip address which made it easier to trace him and then ban/unban his ip whilst we where fault finding.

• Haha 1

Great job Detectives!

Now I know why there was no reply from you guys, when I visited their server (because TM was down) they aggressively wanted anyone there and me to join their Clan. 

I get it though, you guys make millions with this server LoL

• Like 1

• Founders
41 minutes ago, ZeroDC00L said:

Now I know why there was no reply from you guys

Yes, at first we where unsure of the issue then once the issue was discovered the developers required time to fix, everyone involved spent hours trying to fault find and fix the issued without alerting the Quark clan that we where on to them (him).

• Like 1

Oh boy, this reads like a lovely thriller :D . Played with the guy a couple of times by the way... In my opinion a pretty good player. Besides he was behaving (at least when I was online), but it's such a shame he's the troublemaker for all the problems/crashes of the TM-server! Once again: nice story, you got my full attention. Exciting! And good work of course.

Cheers :D

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

yes since we have an ETL Euros server i will like to know more about the exploit and how  we can fix this exploit

but i am not surprised   some ET guys from other clans are more and more trying to kill other servers  with false post , ddossing  and more

a lil late but i wish to your Clan and regulars a great  new year 2020

Edited by Kate
  • Thanks 2