ET Legacy anti cheat

I’ve been thinking and no doubt it’s been mentioned many a time.

Is it possible ET Legacy developers could make their own anti-cheat like punkbuster? 

There seems to be a wealth of support for legacy with loads of contributors.

Yes I imagine it’ll take time but well worth it IMO.

I don’t know how these people find aimbots and wallhacks, but in my simple mind, you’d get as many as you can then in a way reverse engineer it and put restrictions at server level.

Edited by Svepa

1 hour ago, Svepa said:

There seems to be a wealth of support for legacy with loads of contributors.

If you refer to credits, then you should know that everyone that did a minimal contribution once (a single line of translation, or a single bug report, etc.) but disappeared afterward count as "contributor".

More realistically, and from my own point of view, ETL team looks more like half of a developer, overworking, unpaid, and that usually has to deal with a considerable amount of crap from the community. Not referring to TM, but to the community as a whole in general.

Don't get the wrong idea: long term maintenance of this project is a constant struggle. It's working out so far, but current situation is far from being ideal.

Of course, anyone is welcome to join and to help!

Edit: And to answer your question about AC: Bystry is right. Being open source means implementing a traditional AC is near impossible, as it would be very easy to bypass by cheat creator. Not even taking into account our small size as a team, there is indeed very little room for manoeuver.

Edited by Spyhawk
  • Thanks 1

I rather not have "traditional" anti-cheat system as those are quite intrusive and IIRC require high level privileges.

4 hours ago, Spyhawk said:

Of course, anyone is welcome to join and to help!

I checked the code base and too bad I do not have the skills to contribute right now.

Do you ETL dev guys take donations? If you do you should put a link to the web page. I guess it could contribute towards tooling and licenses (and/or pizza). I think I tried to look for one during xmas season but could not find one.

• Like 4

Link to donation is momentary down, but it will be back.

This said, our own cost aren't that high and money won't help the effort much. We have all the infrastructure and tooling we need. What we really miss is skilled people willing to tears sweat and blood. Or, you know, unskilled people willing to learn.

I actually have to dive into some c++ programming during next 2 months so maybe after that I can try to dabble with some c :D But anyways thank you for all your efforts.

Edited by ddifof
  • Thanks 1