Full revive

Hello guys!

Not sure if this is the right place to post this.

I wonder whether it'd be desirable to make the following tiny upgrade to the >view< of a medic:

If an injured player had =/<25%? health required for a full-revive, this health-bar should be coloured differently, so the medic knew right away whether to shoot the player below 25% or directly apply the syringe. This could also provide an additional incentive for medics to heal more.

I have wasted quite some time needling players in vain. What do you think?

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Great idea indeed. I think the reason it hasn't been done is because the reviving alive players feature is not part of etlegacy but implemented with a server-side lua script, which cannot change such client-sided view features. So unless the feature officially gets incorporated this probably won't happen.

Thinking a bit about the revive feature, this is seems to have been the development:

• Originally players could only be revived when dead. It thus became easiest to heal almost dead players by tk'ing them before reviving, which is not great.
  • As a solution the alive revive feature was introduced. However, now if players are slightly less than almost dead (just above 25%) they still need to be shot before able to get a revive.

It seems that the feature is more of a partial fix, as teamdamage is still needed/expected but just in a different way. (Not needing the tk is of course a big improvement though.)

One alternative I thought of is allowing revives below a certain threshold but proportional to how far below the threshold the player is. For instance, say the threshold is 50%. A fully dead player would be fully revived, but a 25% alive player would be revived to 75%, 49% to 51%, and so on. This still means doing some teamdamage allows for a bigger revive, but (I think) to an extent that it's more sensible to use medpacks instead of doing so.

• Founders
1 hour ago, hettoo said:

One alternative I thought of is allowing revives below a certain threshold but proportional to how far below the threshold the player is. For instance, say the threshold is 50%. A fully dead player would be fully revived, but a 25% alive player would be revived to 75%, 49% to 51%, and so on. This still means doing some teamdamage allows for a bigger revive, but (I think) to an extent that it's more sensible to use medpacks instead of doing so.

@Aranud

2 hours ago, hettoo said:

Great idea indeed. I think the reason it hasn't been done is because the reviving alive players feature is not part of etlegacy but implemented with a server-side lua script, which cannot change such client-sided view features. So unless the feature officially gets incorporated this probably won't happen.

Thinking a bit about the revive feature, this is seems to have been the development:

• Originally players could only be revived when dead. It thus became easiest to heal almost dead players by tk'ing them before reviving, which is not great.
  • As a solution the alive revive feature was introduced. However, now if players are slightly less than almost dead (just above 25%) they still need to be shot before able to get a revive.

It seems that the feature is more of a partial fix, as teamdamage is still needed/expected but just in a different way. (Not needing the tk is of course a big improvement though.)

Other way is just to make the revive give 60hp to whatever the current status of health of the player is. If player is fully dead, then after the revive health will be 60. If player has even 55hp then syringe adds still 60hp but as the overall healt is capped to a certain number, then even using syringe on 95hp player would not give some extra health boost. Then medpacks would not be so much used to revive at scene but to be dropped down to some key parts where someone can find them and get health back (for example in goldrush medic could drop some packs as allied to bridge area and move on).

Currently the revive train as youcan revive 10 people in a row faster than 10 seconds is bit absurd and something could be maybe capped there (syringe speed, amount of health..?).

Edited by Ctrz

15 hours ago, MrMuppet said:

:)

I don't know what version the servers use, but here is a modification of the script from the etlegacy repository if you want to take any of its code. It creates a cvar g_reviveConvergence for the convergence point, defaulting to 0.5.

I've made the behaviour consistent across the two needles, so the weak one heals 1% to 49% and 20% to 30% for instance. Since it doesn't heal much anyway an alternative could be to just revive to the minimum of 50% and the convergence point in this case (so it's never better than the strong one but also never better than healing to 50%). I've attached this version too (but not tested the weak needle with that version because I got to level 3 on my server testing the other and don't know how to reset :p).

Edit: added a third version, which has a separate g_reviveWeakConvergence cvar for the weak needle, set to 75% (of half the health) by default. It also fixes an error due to forgetting to round (setting HP to non-integers fails) that may occur with the other versions if the cvar isn't set to 0.5... For the original behaviour set both cvars to 0.5.

medic-syringe-heal.lua medic-syringe-heal-alternative.lua

medic-syringe-heal-twocvar.lua

Edited by hettoo
Third version with fix

• Founders

The medic heal lua is in use, it was written for us, we currently use the 356 version from May the 28th as this is the latest "stable" version regarding the connection issue, later versions have been tested but reverted back.

15 hours ago, hettoo said:

The thing about the needle revive while alive is it makes the game flow a lot smoother. For example, I will go out of my way to heal someone who is at 20hp with the needle but I would not go out of my way to heal someone half hp with medpacks. I would just kill and revive at that point, if anything. It's just easier to give 2 headshots (with love) and revive. :)

Edited by Sebast1an
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Sebast1an said:

The thing about the needle revive while alive is it makes the game flow a lot smoother. For example, I will go out of my way to heal someone who is at 20hp with the needle but I would not go out of my way to heal someone half hp with medpacks. I would just kill and revive at that point, if anything. It's just easier to give 2 headshots (with love) and revive. :)

Lets just make needle work with all healths and let medic keep his medpacks as a reward. :) 

2 hours ago, Ctrz said:

Lets just make needle work with all healths and let medic keep his medpacks as a reward. :) 

I think the current system works just fine and there's no need for changes. After all it's the same for both sides and I don't see it giving an advantage to either side.

• Like 1