Proning delay

Prone restriction  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support the 1 second prone delay before getting up?

• Yes, 1 second delay on getting up
    • No, I like my freedom

This poll is closed to new votes

Hi all you lovely people here's something I'd like to open a discussion about if that's okay.

I think that most of you have already noticed there is now a 1 second delay on getting up again after proning. I’m not saying it’s the worst thing in the world but it comes pretty close imo. To me it feels like a unnecessary restriction on a player’s ability to move around freely.

Talking from my own experience I know that proning works only just in maybe half the times you try it and as long as everyone is capable of doing it I don’t see any real unfair advantage.

I know already from @divine_one and @Jaime that they also don’t support the 1 second  delay, now I’m very curious to hear other people’s opinions about this. Added a poll to see what's the general opinion on this.

Cheers🍻

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Is the "1" value the lowest it can be set on pronedelay? Maybe its possible to still have a delay but 0.5 sec or lower? Like lets meet in the middle. 

I've played with it and I would like no delay / shorter delay but if we decide to keep 1sec delay then its not gonna make me uninstall the game and I will continue playing it once a month :D 

• Haha 1

This delay made me realize that I used to prone quite a bit, which is kind of impossible to do now. Personally I'd get rid of the delay or at least make proning an option again by lowering the delay like Seto suggested. It's a public server that should be fun to play for everyone. This suggestion as well as the whole panzer/rifle discussion come from the higher skilled players, but remember there are other players who enjoy these things. Just because you get killed once or twice a map by someone who proned, doesn't mean it should be disabled.

Personally I was a big fan of the quickprone as its adds another valuable movement skill to the game that needs to be mastered :)
I'd like to see it changed back or lowered a bit at least, cause as of right now it just feels too slow and sluggish, whenever I prone I feel like im glued to the floor for an eternity

First of all, thanks to @Bomba for creating this topic.

6 hours ago, Bomba said:

To me it feels like a unnecessary restriction on a player’s ability to move around freely.

4 hours ago, 0wN1x said:

This suggestion as well as the whole panzer/rifle discussion come from the higher skilled players, but remember there are other players who enjoy these things. Just because you get killed once or twice a map by someone who proned, doesn't mean it should be disabled

Exactly.

4 hours ago, m00f said:

...its adds another valuable movement skill to the game that needs to be mastered

That was the first thing I said to Mini about proning delay.

Same as trickjumping or crouching while shooting, propper proning/getting up needs to be mastered and takes some time to learn. Moving around the game map properly is just as important as aiming. It can save you from some unnecessary deaths, so i feel like something is stolen from me now. A skill that I spent my time and effort to learn.  I'm dying enough trying to revive my teammates without this damn delay. 

6 hours ago, Ctrz said:

I've played with it and I would like no delay / shorter delay but if we decide to keep 1sec delay then its not gonna make me uninstall the game and I will continue playing it once a month

This is not blackmail, but I thought exactly the same :D

1 hour ago, Ande said:

We should disable selfkill in battle too if we going fix things like this... Dont like this delay

Playing with fire here. I like it. Add selfkilldelay instead! :D 

K, I’m old and I am happy that I can get up in just one second (j/k).

I think the value should be as low as possible. Although it gives advantages it needs to be mastered (as mentioned just like trickjumping) but it makes you more vulnerable to get shot aswel. 
It’s like Rambo medics and bbq-sticks, it’s part of the game, some like it some don’t. 
Just my 2p

1 hour ago, 0wN1x said:

Curious to know the reasoning for a yes vote. So far only no voters have shared their opinion in a reply.

I remember someone once saying that "yes" votes dont actually need explanations. :D 

image.png

But surely would be cool to know that side opinions too.

@0wN1x if you could choose - 1sec prone delay vs 1sec selfkill delay - what would you choose?

2 hours ago, 0wN1x said:

Curious to know the reasoning for a yes vote. So far only no voters have shared their opinion in a reply.

Mainly just spite because when I shoot a proner nothing hits and when I'm the proner I die in 0.5 seconds.

I'm salty but honest  😂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 0wN1x said:

You're implying I said such thing, which I didn't. Let's keep this topic clean and stay on topic please... :rolleyes:

If I would have implied that it was you, I would have said it was you :D . 

But I support the idea to hear "yes" vote explanations too. TY for yours @RandyMarsh.

5 hours ago, Ctrz said:

I remember someone once saying that "yes" votes dont actually need explanations.

I mean we don't really need to hear reasons for a yes vote on trial polls but every other poll we ever put out we would like to hear both sides (why do you want a certain map / setting / pink forum skin over not wanting it etc etc).

The game has changed since the quick proning appears. It was a lifesaver when someone hits your back. I think people don't like prone because of the hit boxes. And it is true. When someone prone it's sometimes impossible to hit the player. 

If hit boxes had been proper, players wouldn't have prone so often.

For me the best situation is to work on the hit boxes and remove that annoying prone delay.  Everyone can prone, so I don't see any reason for this delay ;) 

• Like 1

Imagine having perfected your aiming abilities and you're in a 1-on-1 with someone and you're aiming for their head perfectly. The only way for them to survive it, is being faster than you to aim for your head, move real quickly... or... Prone and you, even when you very quickly aim down, and won't be able to do headshots anymore. If you have full HP, you'll likely still win. But if you had low HP from the start, they'll shoot your feet, or jump up again and finish you off. Without the prone it would've been a perfect kill. 

I very much welcomed this prone delay. I feel like it makes sense that you can't jump up again that quickly. Even with the prone delay I sometimes prone myself. If I'm low on ammo and need to reload, I prone, reload and try to fight back. But that's because you don't have any other option. If you're just not quick enough or your aim is not good enough, prone should not be your solution. 

#voteYes for prone delay! 

Edited by Trinorae

Proning without delay is bugged. It's just ridiculous how you can prone in an instant (like 0.1 sec or so), keep minimal weapon spread and on top of that you become unhittable for your opponent. Broken and too OP behavior. People are exploiting it. It's pretty similar to that FG-42 bug  Proning with delay and spread increase is the standard , improved and fixed behavior. Should've been set to 1 from the very beginning.

• Like 1

Yeah well you can't avoid people from proning by adding a delay on getting up. Wouldn't it make morse sense then to put a delay on getting down instead? I mean that's what you are trying to avoid, people going down. I'm not thinking now ooh wait there is a 1 second delay when I need to get up, no ofc i just prone and later see whats what

There are many more things we should tweak if we start tweaking stuff like this.

Any chance it will be reverted with a majority of votes in favor of that? @MiniMuppet @Charlie

• Like 3

There are several techniques against prone. If it is close combat, you can simply jump over your opponent and attack him from behind. Or if your mouse sens is high enough you can just run around him before he finds out what just happened (damn you Bomba! :D). I understand prone has made the so far easy targets a little less easy. But let's be honest, just a little.

Edited by divine_one

After reading what Bomba said I change my mind. I'd feel fine if the getting down should take the same time as getting up.  Or maybe the difference between shouldn't be that big. Let's say getting down should be 0.2/0.3 sec and getting up 0.4? (300 ms is avg time of human reaction) Time needs an adjustment. Now the feeling is ridiculous and frustrating. 

20 hours ago, Trinorae said:

The only way for them to survive it, is being faster than you to aim for your head, move real quickly... or... Prone and you, even when you very quickly aim down, and won't be able to do headshots anymore.

But you can prone as well? When you see the opponent prone you can also prone, or jump over him as divine said ;)

It's not just the delay, it's the spread increase that comes with g_pronedelay "1". Anyway, the CVAR works fine, the behavior with g_pronedelay "1" is perfectly fine, has been for the last 15 years or so, so no need to make any changes or adjustments there.