Constant latences - server : ETlegacy

Caïn

Hi people, i'm Caïn from the EtLegacy muppet server

Since few months (3 or more) i've several latences and i dont know why, i've tried many things, like uninstall and reinstall etlegacy, changing version of legacy, changing my cfg.

It's not my connection for sure, nothing changing about this.

For more precisions : When i'm playing on etlegacy server, i see every thing what ppl seeing 1s later, so i'm dying behind box and walls, and sure, many times i've no time to see the guy who killed me, it's pretty .. annoying, sometimes i'm shooting someone but nothing happen and he kill me. So i prey to find a solution ahah ^^.

I've talked with TM Starcream and he doesn't know what's happen, so maybe someone have an idea ?

for information i've constant spikes as Star might told me, so if you have any solutions to help me...  Thanks :) !

Caïn.

Hello,

where are you located in? Can you do a traceroute on your computer towards the server when the issue occurs? Type following command in the windows console and print out the result for us:

tracert 37.187.79.49

20 hours ago, Flo said:

Hello,

where are you located in? Can you do a traceroute on your computer towards the server when the issue occurs? Type following command in the windows console and print out the result for us:

tracert 37.187.79.49

Yop, i've already do that, i've 27ms in my first house and my second one i've 5ms. the same problem appear...

Yeah, I asked Cain to tracert as a first step :D

So, while I was discussing this with him on the server, I was also speccing him with the ping and lag monitors on. Every time he stopped to reply to me, his ping went crazy for a bit, which settled down as soon as he started moving again. He also seemed to get lag spikes every 2 seconds or so. 

Having thought about this, and providing the ping and lagometer were correctly showing something, it feels to me like something is either on your network or computer that is trying to monopolise your bandwidth. The high ping when not moving makes me think that something is downloading or uploading and ET is only prioritised when you start moving (ET sends more packets). Might be barking completely up the wrong tree, but do make sure nothing on your end is unusually active on your network.

16 hours ago, Caïn said:

Yop, i've already do that, i've 27ms in my first house and my second one i've 5ms. the same problem appear...

Are you using the same pc/laptop on both locations? If so, the only common denominators here are your setup and the server - assuming the houses are not using the same connection. And so far you seem to be the only one having this problem which leads me to believe there's something wrong in your setup.

Is it possible for you to try another machine to see whether it has the same issues? Also if you are not the only one connected to the network, try disconnecting the other devices (also disable WLAN) and giving it a go.

One thing you could try is to see which applications are using your connection besides ETLegacy. Task Manager -> Processes -> Organize by "Network" (see pic below, sorry about the Finnish).

Would it be possible for you to play for like 5mins and record a demo for us to see? Try including as much of different actions as you can - running, standing still, explosions, shooting, getting shot etc. And make sure your lagometer is visible.

kuva.png.1e3890bf1122a09414330efe42892d0e.png

Yop ok, i make two things,

a screenshot of my task manager and a demo (2 demos in reality), i've tried what you ask me, so tell me what you think about it :) !

The 2 demos from my "second house" , with an another connection, but the problem is the same than the first one.

Sorry for the french version of my screenshot. tell me what you want and i translate it for you if you want :)

Thanks friends !

Cap_system.thumb.JPG.d15b382d2a786b1cb5a0d97262158692.JPG

demo0000.dm_84demo0001.dm_84

Thank you. Your task manager looks fine to me.

Also I couldn't spot a single thing wrong in your demos - did you still have the issues while recording because it all looks awfully normal to me? After reading Starscreams post I kinda expected there to be a lot more lags but your demos show no signs of anything at all. If you indeed had issues, could you pinpoint the times you did so it's easier to spot? Or if it happens with actual people more, try recording a demo with a full server for reference.

In fact, on the demos we didnt see this, but something wrong... sometimes i aim someone and when i'm shooting him nothing happen, it's strange cause i see the difference between now and 3 month ago. 

I'll try to make a new demo when i spot something.

And Dragonkiss, no i use just one computer.

It's been ages since I used Windows as base system (actually windows 7 was my last win). But configuring one laptop for my sister I noticed they have some kind of P2P sharing for their windows updates.

In English it's called "Delivery Optimisation" under settings -> windows updates -> advanced options. Make sure it's off

Also I would try just disabling WUpdate (and Cortana why not) services and give it a try.

Didn't the 'creators update' (or the newer 'gaming update') also cause stuttering in games for some people? If so, make sure you are completely up to date as I believe they have only recently fixed that.

Fun fact: If you have windows update and 'update other apps' turned on, windows update will try to update any xbox / xbox game pass games when you least want it to.

Generally, I turn windows update off and check it manually. These days the best way to do that is to set your connection to 'metered' and make sure windows update is set not to use metered connections. (Edit: windows update won't reset that after an update)

53 minutes ago, StaR said:

I know this doesn't contribute to the conversation but Star and Starscream aren't the same person 😛 

LIES!

No, seriously, I know people shorten my name to Star, but StaR here has been a member for a lot longer than I. Perhaps we could encourage people to shorten my name to Scream instead? :D

I did say I'm happy to change my name if things get confusing.

Edited by StarScream

It can also be linked to computer's temperature. I had ping and FPS lags with my old laptop on ET after 30-45mins of playing due to comp overheating. Maybe you can check this? There are plenty of temperature monitoring software everywhere to check. 

It can also be due to a display misconfiguration (refresh rate not aligned between desktop conf and game conf)

I'm sorry but I watched the demo twice and I still don't see anything out of the ordinary. You have some random spikes in your lagometer but nothing major and definitely not all the time - frankly I wish my lagometer looked that clean. :D

I think I've ran out of ideas on how to help you since I don't exactly even see what the issue is. Best of luck in getting it solved though. :)

when i'm against draker, i dont know whats happen. i'm dead ok but why ? He shooting more faster than me ?

Maybe it's my cfg ? cause when u watch the demo with yours you didnt see what i see ? /:

Hello,

I've reviewed the demos and I don't see anything out of normal.

You say you have this problem since 3-4 months, and that is a coincidence with last ETL release (2.77.1 released 17/03 and 2.77 28/02) and that also is a coincidence with the TM server running the latest build of server binaries as far as I know.

So my suggestion would be to try the latest client version (2.77.1) if you odn't have it, or try a previous version (2.76 and 2.75 still work perfect for me) and check if you notice any improvement

Also make a full clean install (remove the 'local' folder of etlegacy with all maps and everything except your etkey etc) Also try if you haven't yet with the /r_primitives 2 thing

Edited by _Ler

yop LER,

when the 2.77 is out, i've install it...

I've tried the 2.76 but nothing change.. 

So, it's strange but like i tell it, when i'm fighting my enemies i see a strange things.. like if the enemy preshot me every time, and my hitbox it's not the same anymore, i hit 1/2 when i'm supposed to hit them lol..

thanks.

I've also watched the demos and nothing weird there. My suggestion would be to install OBS Studio and record your gameplay with it along with the replay of ET also. Might give more insight when we see what you are seeing. It might be a hardware issue, failing ssd/hdd, memory etc. Maybe do some scans on those as well.