Map impressions/suggestions

Hello :) it seems it's been a while since there has been much activity in this subforum, so I thought I'd post an overview of what I think is the general sentiment about the current map selection and make some personal suggestions as well. Do take this with a grain of salt; it's just my impressions and opinions.

These are the maps I think everyone is enjoying, as they get voted frequently:

caen2
frostbite
sp_delivery_te
venice (I get tired of this, but it gets voted a lot)
goldrush-gals (same as above)
adlernest / etl_adlernest_v1
bremen_final
braundorf_final
sw_oasis_b3
supply
erdenberg_b3
pirates
UJE_italy
tc_base
sw_battery

These ones I haven't played enough to judge:

raid_final (I quite like it)
UJE_carentan
radar
decay_b7
lighthouse2 (so far I think it's cute, but axis do get massacred at their spawn and trying to climb up)
frost2_final
mlb_hotchkiss (seemed very easy to get lost here the one or two times I played... not convinced)

Finally, these ones I'm pretty sure people don't like so much:

western
tits_b2
baserace_desert (although some love it... but there is a dedicated baserace server)
UJE_fueldump_cp (perhaps this is more popular when the server gets busy; I usually play earlier)
dubrovnik_final (it's not that bad, but I'm pretty sure half of the players are still confused about what's going on in the beginning... I know I am)
dingenskirchen (very pretty map, but the objective may be a bit much I think)

Personally I would really like to see falcon2 and saberpeak_final, which were played a lot back when I first played this game. These are nice and bright maps (too many dark concrete jungles deter at least me from playing) with what I think are reasonably understandable objectives. I know the first bit of saberpeak may seem a bit big and open, but there is room for closer fights behind the mountains, and there is always the second part.

I also wouldn't mind trying mlb_temple (perhaps instead of hotchkiss?), although I realise it's quite big... is the server currently using the player count filtering for votable maps (https://github.com/etlegacy/etlegacy/commit/128b9a829704a2929f6d1e94fc7e1844efdcbc66)? This could be useful also for fueldump for instance, and maybe certain small maps could be allowed only with few players.

As one last crazy request I wouldn't mind seeing more roofs and ledges in goldrush-gals unclipped (the way they are in SuperGoldrush_Final for instance) if there is any mapper around able to do so. That would make the map a bit more exciting again for me. 😛

Anyway, I hope this is of any use! I'd be happy even if it just turns into a conversation starter on what to add/remove next.

• Like 1

Saberpeak is fun, def one of my fav’s. It was on but didn’t get much votes sadly so it got removed I guess. Venice nowadays I spec that one. It’s utterly crap on this server with so many players. Never saw allies win that one on main. 

Generally the problem is people "know" right about 7 maps and keep voting them in disregarding the good but newer maps. Not everyone likes the same maps though so I think it's a good approach to go with the majority. :)

To give my own take on the maps you listed, I'll add a list below. I like small maps with a lot of people so it doesn't get boring. :D But with objectives that are possible for both teams to win as well.

As for adding Saberpeak, please don't. People don't understand the objective and it ends up getting stuck on the first part. Never seen allies get to the city on ETL1 and to be fair, that part isn't super balanced either.

Spoiler

OK:
- Frostbite
- Special Delivery
- Adlernest
- Bremen
- Braundorf
- Supply
- Erdenberg
- Pirates
- Battery
- Raid
- Carentan
- Radar
- Decay
- Frost2
- Western (difficult for axis but not impossible at proper numbers)
- Dubrovnik (a bit small and limited for higher numbers)
- Dingenskirchen

Not my favourite but seems like people like it:
- Caen2
- Venice
- Goldrush (the current version is the least horrible though)
- Oasis
- Italy
- Thud in the sand (the final part is too easy to defend due to several chokepoints)
- Baserace
- Fuel Dump
- TC Base (gets voted in with ridiculous amount of players sometimes but it is what it is)

Would remove and replace with something else:
- Lighthouse
- MLB Hotchkiss

Generally both these maps have the same issue. Axis spawn a level below allies and it is simply too easy for allies to just camp the few entries to the objective. Hotchkiss' second part is even worse since allies have a literal open 360 degree killzone that axis can't go around. And it gets worse with more and more people learning the objective.

Edited by Sebast1an
fixed

3 minutes ago, hettoo said:

Ok, after playing a bit with bots on saberpeak I realise it's indeed not great.

I'd still like to try falcon2 and/or mlb_temple though :)

Temple last stage has been too little for 20vs20 and also the first part where you have to either cross narrow or wide bridge or climb up are real bottlenecks for allied players. 

Falcon is not big enough for even 10vs10 as axis have very nice places to defend allies and they cannot do anything.  Both maps needs allies to be much stronger to have a chance to win.

I think falcon is currently active in beginners server mappool - try it out there :) 

There are plenty of topics about maps. All ends with the same. Players vote for the maps they know well, so new maps don't have a chance.
Some maps are fine but not balanced, so they are removed. IMO we can try to adjust the balance by changing spawn points or something, but I know that it's easy to say for me, but there's prob no one who can do that.

Once I proposed a cyclic event. One day a week (or one day per 2 weeks) with only new maps. I think my idea didn't find enthusiasm.

1 hour ago, Jaime said:

Once I proposed a cyclic event. One day a week (or one day per 2 weeks) with only new maps. I think my idea didn't find enthusiasm.

I think this is an good idea, only nee maps for an few hours. Perhaps not twice a week but once or twice/month?

4 hours ago, Jaime said:

There are plenty of topics about maps. All ends with the same. Players vote for the maps they know well, so new maps don't have a chance.
Some maps are fine but not balanced, so they are removed. IMO we can try to adjust the balance by changing spawn points or something, but I know that it's easy to say for me, but there's prob no one who can do that.

Well its pretty organic. I think there are plenty of us who chimed in with new ideas (about rules, maps etc) and got the reply that we didnt invent the bicycle and it has been tried before.

From the experience, Temple map could be improved and balanced immensely but we need someone who know how to update and change the map.

For example: if allies had 2nd spawn at the beginning near the bridge, it would help a lot. If allies would have at the end a way up to the 2nd floor then it would balance map even more. 

But that needs some work that I have no idea how to accomplish.

But I like active people with ideas. :) keep it up!

• Founders

Thanks for all the suggestion, most maps probably have already been on and off the server many time. We do keep adding and removing maps to try to get people to try them and this is what we will keep doing but we can't promise people will play them.

For now we have put etl ice, Saberpeak and Praetoria mission 2.

• Thanks 1

• Founders
On 7/2/2021 at 4:12 PM, Sebast1an said:

As for adding Saberpeak, please don't. People don't understand the objective and it ends up getting stuck on the first part. Never seen allies get to the city on ETL1 and to be fair, that part isn't super balanced either.

I have changed the spawn times to the allies favour, this should make it easier to progress through the map, if it is now too easy then I will tweak a little more.

• Like 1

I dont vote those maps which wins the votes.. Because its always same maps.. when vote list opens its 9/10 times mostly same map which wins the vote.. its goes hard if vote opens and its has all favourite maps on list same time.. :D 

(New) maps to think any chance to get.. I m not sure  does people like to try them but.. Ok, I type few map names

Raw Castle

Treetop_Final   (There is some point of map VERY HIGH RISK TO BE UNDER SK ATTACKS) So just thinkin is it good.. Looks good but that SK..

Secret_bay

Carnage Canyon 2

Bergen

8 hours ago, MrMuppet said:

I have changed the spawn times to the allies favour, this should make it easier to progress through the map, if it is now too easy then I will tweak a little more.

Looking forward to seeing what kind of effect that has on the balance. It is a beautiful map so would be nice to have it in the rotation for a longer time as well. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Warbell
rushers11_b2
Nachteinbruch
el_kef_final
alpine_assault
_BRIDGES_
I'd also have nothing against a properly working version of baserace :P
and also throw minas tirith in there, so charlie might come and play more :D

• TeamMuppet coin 2

1 hour ago, m00f said:

Pretty sure you earned second bow from @Charlie :D   someone is on a streak!

Edited by Ctrz
all aboard on the minas train! +1 from me

On 7/2/2021 at 3:34 PM, Dragonkiss said:

Saberpeak is fun, def one of my fav’s. It was on but didn’t get much votes sadly so it got removed I guess. Venice nowadays I spec that one. It’s utterly crap on this server with so many players. Never saw allies win that one on main. 

Sniperpeak is a pain in the ass for Allies. Venice is a favourite of mine, have seen Allies win a fair few times. You just need to have a competent Covert Ops.

On 7/30/2021 at 10:29 AM, m00f said:

Warbell
rushers11_b2
Nachteinbruch
el_kef_final
alpine_assault
_BRIDGES_
I'd also have nothing against a properly working version of baserace :P

I second bringing Warbell back, love that map.

_BRIDGES_ always seemed to end in a stalemate with one team spawnlocked but holding on to the train.

AFAIK the baserace problem is with the server, not the map, but I could take a look at the pk3 to see if there are any glaringly obvious issues.

Rushers, Nacht, El Kef and AA are all fine maps but tend to be over quickly as players don't know them so they should be kept on for a while to allow players to get to know them properly.

Minas Tirith has been requested a lot, but I am sadly unfamiliar with it. Would like to see what the fuss is about.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...