Dynamite overtime

I thought I saw this suggestion in a thread somewhere, but can't find it anymore: if a dynamite is planted that may end the map but the timelimit is below 30 seconds, increase the timelimit to allow the dynamite to explode.

Attached is a simple lua script that does this.

Some notes about it:

• Map and objective names need to be hardcoded, as it cannot figure out which objectives might end the map. I've put some for current ETL1 maps. Apart from the map/objective names there is a third parameter in seconds, which is extra seconds to add. This is because on fueldump there is a 3 second delay after the objective is blown up when axis can still win (a map bug imo, but that's how it is). Maybe I'll make it read the data from a separate file later.
  • If there are multiple blowup targets (as on oasis) any one of them will trigger the functionality, just in case the other is already blown up or also being dynamited.
  • Perhaps ideally the timelimit would be reset to what it should have been once the dynamite is defused, but the lua interface does not have access to dynamite identifiers, so they cannot be tracked individually when multiple have been planted.
  • For some reason adding 0.5 of a minute wasn't enough and I had to increase it to 0.53 to be safe. Sometimes it shows as 30 seconds, sometimes as 31. I'm not sure where this (apparent) flimsiness comes from.

I don't know if people really want this, but maybe it could be fun to try.

dynamite_overtime.lua

• Founders

I think this was implemented into a previous build but there was no way of turning the feature off and it was removed, I will have to check through the build info.

Edit: it was dynamite chaining I was thinking of Add dynamite chaining · Issue #1487 · etlegacy/etlegacy · GitHub

2 hours ago, MrMuppet said:

Right, ideally this would be implemented directly into the game. Even then though I'm not sure how feasible it is to automatically detect which objectives to lookout for, as it seems the objective status can just be set anywhere in the map script. That's probably why the issue has been open for a year now.

Edit: etpub seems to do a simulation of what would happen if the dynamites exploded... seems a little dicey to me, as not the entire gamestate is backed up and in theory side-effects could come through.

Edited by hettoo
Had a look at the old etpub code

• 6 months later...
On 2/2/2022 at 10:21 PM, uips said:

interesting idea, case closed on legacy?

https://github.com/etlegacy/etlegacy/issues/1498

It was pushed back from the current 2.79 release to the 2.8 release, or so it appears. No clue how far along it is to being implemented or anything.