Hello from very far away

Greetings fellow ETPlayers!

I'm StiffWrists, one of the few Asians that frequent the TM server :D. Probably most recognisable from my ~200ms ping times, quick footwork, and insane tendency to rush headlong into heavy fire.

I am a 40 year old guy living in Singapore. I work at a small container shipping firm, managing the company's server infrastructure and writing custom code to augment our ERP system.

My history with ET started in late 2001 when Return to Castle Wolfenstein (ET's predecessor) was released. Being a fan of the original Wolfenstein 3D, I got myself a copy in the form of a Limited Edition Collector's Tin from a gaming store. At the time I was still on a high latency 56k dial-up and had only intended to play through the single-player campaign. The section on multiplayer in the game manual however intrigued me so much that I decided to try a few games out. Needless to say I was hooked.

It was a real struggle playing with ~280 ping and no anti-lag against players on cable but I found ways to excel and impressed enough on public servers to get invited to join a nascent clan. Spent hours honing aim and jumping skills, timing first contact, finding trick shots ('rifle mortar' as a clanmate puts it), planning match strats, scrimming, all that stuff. Even made an ET aim practice map (rgb_practice) which a scarce few of you may have heard of.

My biggest regret is having never managed to develop my match play skills to its full potential. We never had a regional ladder in this part of the world, like what CAL did for North America and Clanbase did for Europe. Much of this had to do with the lack of a lingua franca (English is not widely spoken), large geographical distances (ping times) and uneven economic development (RTCW and ET were demanding games). Of the various countries, Japan had the largest and most serious ET community. I knew some Japanese and fell in with the more serious players there but it was never really enough. Fast forward to 2021, I have gotten too old to pour time into this game 🤣.

I game on both Linux and Windows with a 35-inch ASUS ROG screen at 3440x1440 and a Ducky 65% mechanical keyboard to maximise my desk space. This large display is the secret behind my ability to engage at extreme distances and being annoying to snipers.

I play all kinds of games. Flight simulators, sim racing, city building, RTS, point and click adventures, platformers, interactive novels, you name it. For first-person shooters, I personally like Quake 3 Area and Left 4 Dead 2. I also picked up an arcade stick controller recently and begun playing a bit of Street Fighter.

See y'all on the servers!

• Like 4

On 8/21/2021 at 11:12 PM, StiffWrists said:

Greetings fellow ETPlayers!

I'm StiffWrists, one of the few Asians that frequent the TM server :D. Probably most recognisable from my ~200ms ping times, quick footwork, and insane tendency to rush headlong into heavy fire.

I am a 40 year old guy living in Singapore. I work at a small container shipping firm, managing the company's server infrastructure and writing custom code to augment our ERP system.

My history with ET started in late 2001 when Return to Castle Wolfenstein (ET's predecessor) was released. Being a fan of the original Wolfenstein 3D, I got myself a copy in the form of a Limited Edition Collector's Tin from a gaming store. At the time I was still on a high latency 56k dial-up and had only intended to play through the single-player campaign. The section on multiplayer in the game manual however intrigued me so much that I decided to try a few games out. Needless to say I was hooked.

It was a real struggle playing with ~280 ping and no anti-lag against players on cable but I found ways to excel and impressed enough on public servers to get invited to join a nascent clan. Spent hours honing aim and jumping skills, timing first contact, finding trick shots ('rifle mortar' as a clanmate puts it), planning match strats, scrimming, all that stuff. Even made an ET aim practice map (rgb_practice) which a scarce few of you may have heard of.

My biggest regret is having never managed to develop my match play skills to its full potential. We never had a regional ladder in this part of the world, like what CAL did for North America and Clanbase did for Europe. Much of this had to do with the lack of a lingua franca (English is not widely spoken), large geographical distances (ping times) and uneven economic development (RTCW and ET were demanding games). Of the various countries, Japan had the largest and most serious ET community. I knew some Japanese and fell in with the more serious players there but it was never really enough. Fast forward to 2021, I have gotten too old to pour time into this game 🤣.

I game on both Linux and Windows with a 35-inch ASUS ROG screen at 3440x1440 and a Ducky 65% mechanical keyboard to maximise my desk space. This large display is the secret behind my ability to engage at extreme distances and being annoying to snipers.

I play all kinds of games. Flight simulators, sim racing, city building, RTS, point and click adventures, platformers, interactive novels, you name it. For first-person shooters, I personally like Quake 3 Area and Left 4 Dead 2. I also picked up an arcade stick controller recently and begun playing a bit of Street Fighter.

See y'all on the servers!

Hey @StiffWrists! Welcome on the forum! 
Which interactive novels do you read/play? :D I was a big fan of them in the past

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2021 at 6:13 PM, LordMarco6699 said:

Hey @StiffWrists! Welcome on the forum! 
Which interactive novels do you read/play? :D I was a big fan of them in the past

Cool! I have not played that many: The 39 Steps, STEINS;GATE and a depressing one about a terminally ill girl seeking death (can't remember the name). More than novels, I tend to play more adventure games or walking simulators like Backbone, Detention, Firewatch, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Monkey Island, Life is Strange, etc.