FPS and Snaps

Charlie

So many many years ago when I cared about having a config and having everything set to have as big of an advantage as possible, I read that there was optimal fps numbers that helped with jumping and whatever. I don't remember them all off the top of my head but 76 fps was one of them. I use a pretty standard cfg these days and I'm too long in the tooth for competitive shit, but I still have max fps set at 76. Is it worth just unlocking it and let it go wild? I use Legacy client and have a 3070 gfx card which I think is enough for ET on high settings ...? :D 

Also can someone explain what snaps is and why 40 is better than 20? Played with both tonight apparently and I noticed zero difference.

• Founders

"rate" - This setting controls packets to ensure a good connection. If you have an ISDN modem ( 128K ) then this can be set to around 12000. If you have a 56K modem then this should be around 4000-5500 depending on your connection speed. If you are on a LAN or have a ADSL modem ( lucky bastard ) then this can be around 25000 or perhaps even higher. Remember, it is best to experiment to find a suitable number but don't get too carried away or you may cap performance.

"snaps" - This is possibly the most important setting for getting a good connection. As everyone knows, in Quake 2, your gameworld updates depended on your current FPS so slower computers were at a disadvantage. Now, in Quake 3, your snaps setting determines how many updates you recieve from the server. 56K modems should have a setting of around 20 - 30. ISDN modems (128K) should be around  40 as should any other fast connection devices ( LAN, T1 etc.... ). Remember to read my cg_lagometer section for  tips on "snaps".

"cl_maxPackets" - This setting puts a limit on the maximum amount of packets that can be sent to the server via the client. This setting is useful for people with slower modems. The default setting is 30 ( comparable to a 56K modem), but lower this if you have a 33.6K modem or less, and higher this setting if you have an ISDN or higher modem.

"
com_maxFPS" - This command limits your maximum FPS. You may ask why you would want to do this, and the answer is that it will help the server from having lag confusion when your frame rate has a sudden rise or fall. Run a timedemo, collect your average FPS and use that as the limit for when you play on-line. While you are playing off line, keep this setting at its default ( 85 ).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Founders
54 minutes ago, lost said:

But if im not wrong, we can not setup snaps to 40 on server ? for me max is 20?

The main server has not been updated to latest build and snaps is still forced at 20 for the time being. Once we update we can make the changes to test it with the amount of people who play on there.