/rate and /cl_maxpackets

it seems Default values for ETL are rate 35000 and maxpackets 100 as i see most people use these values. Rate can be set as high as 45000 and maxpackets up to 125. Those are the values i see some players use.

Is there any real benefit between rate 35000 and 45000, maxpackets 100 and 125. Does it make any noticeable difference?

I don't know for maxpackets.

But on my side I've had the necessity to set rate at 45000 otherwise I had some rendering issue with players when they are a lot in a small area, there were like some clashes with positions, making enemies and myself teleport, i.e not fluent moves anymore

I think there's a floor of 35000 for rate in the TM server. As I lag and stutter a lot in open maps, or when lots of players are in an area, I wish I could drop rate down to 25000 (or even less) to reduce the bandwidth.

11 hours ago, StiffWrists said:

I think there's a floor of 35000 for rate in the TM server. As I lag and stutter a lot in open maps, or when lots of players are in an area, I wish I could drop rate down to 25000 (or even less) to reduce the bandwidth.

any reason why it cannot be set under 35000? I remember in old times it was "default" recommended was 25000 and people with good connection could go higher, something like that.

rate ETMain Client

Cap on the connection bandwidth to use, 1000=~1KB/s. For 56k use about 4000, broadband 25000

4 hours ago, uips said:

any reason why it cannot be set under 35000? I remember in old times it was "default" recommended was 25000 and people with good connection could go higher, something like that.

rate ETMain Client

Cap on the connection bandwidth to use, 1000=~1KB/s. For 56k use about 4000, broadband 25000

Your memory is correct. A /rate of 25000 and /cl_maxpackets 100 was the recommended setting for broadband connections in the past. I'm not sure why 35000 is the minimum. If you try /rate 25000 on TM ETL, it will be silently ignored.

This is something you should ask on  ETL discord from devs.

However, I think higher rate is needed because I believe the server fps is higher than in the old days (=more position & action updates per second for each player). And because there is a massive amount of players usually on TM server.