Yo,

Just came on an idea that we can place red and yellow areas on maps that appear on L menu or G to show where players cannot shoot heavy & mortar. 
It might look like I attach. Extra if we can also show/hide these areas by clicking another key or selecting checkbox in menu or somewhere.

Since ET is on steam, we have more players and more work to do. It might be helpful for us to handle this mess. What do you think?

map.png

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Jaime said:

What do you think?

If you can make this idea to be accepted - congrats :) . Last few times it was suggested it got rejected with reasoning that we dont want to give people so many modified pk3 packages to download.

Have also been suggestion to modify maps themselves to draw red line on the ground for spawnarea for example.

Wouldnt mind updated ingame map at all.

I think it's a great idea. People already have to download maps they don't have and we change them relatively frequently so I'm not sure the 'too much to download' reason works in the long-run. Eventually it'll even out and be no different.

Rather than blocking off squares, try to draw the areas with lines to reflect the rules and pictures we already have here: 

That's easier said than done with some maps having truly awful uh.. maps, but it would be nice for everyone to have an easy reference at the push of a button.

I am very much in favour of this change, especially now we're getting an influx of new players.

On 5/9/2022 at 5:10 PM, StarScream said:

I think it's a great idea. People already have to download maps they don't have and we change them relatively frequently so I'm not sure the 'too much to download' reason works in the long-run. Eventually it'll even out and be no different.

Rather than blocking off squares, try to draw the areas with lines to reflect the rules and pictures we already have here: 

That's easier said than done with some maps having truly awful uh.. maps, but it would be nice for everyone to have an easy reference at the push of a button.

I am very much in favour of this change, especially now we're getting an influx of new players.

This kind of drawing is very unclear, just use squares to point out where what is forbidden. (You don’t have to blok the entire square and use high contrast colors as yellow sucks.) Downloading the maps again ain’t a problem these days imho as the dl speeds are fine and most maps only take a few secs to obtain. 

11 hours ago, Dragonkiss said:

This kind of drawing is very unclear, just use squares to point out where what is forbidden.

The problem comes when the diagrams in the forums and the block-outs on the in-game map are different, which will cause massive headaches for TM members as you know players will try to argue the toss or take advantage.

The diagrams on the forums and the changes to the in-game maps MUST be consistent otherwise we now have two potentially conflicting rules.

1 hour ago, StarScream said:

The problem comes when the diagrams in the forums and the block-outs on the in-game map are different, which will cause massive headaches for TM members as you know players will try to argue the toss or take advantage.

The diagrams on the forums and the changes to the in-game maps MUST be consistent otherwise we now have two potentially conflicting rules.

Thus use the same for both forum and server. Again, in the old dayz we had that on our server aswel. The map was redrawn with the colored areas (square) as guidance and the same image was used on the forum to point it out. 

30 minutes ago, Dragonkiss said:

Thus use the same for both forum and server. Again, in the old dayz we had that on our server aswel. The map was redrawn with the colored areas (square) as guidance and the same image was used on the forum to point it out. 

Fair point.

I have search for this map in google. Don't know where to look for these maps. 
I'm graphic designer. These maps must weight less than 200 KB (depends on format). Players won't even notice that they have downloaded whatever.

I prefer semi-transparent yellow/red areas than line because it looks clearer to me. Ofc we can test lines.

Yet still  we only wonder if we can do that so. Who can answer us if we can implement such a feature?

I would prefer to see sk areas on minimap but ok for me.Dnno how others feel about it.In the past the mighty bird was against it but we may do it secretly so he wont notice:).

Can you make an example on one map so its easyer to sell the idea to all.If you want access to test server,let us know.

16 hours ago, Matu said:

I would prefer to see sk areas on minimap but ok for me.Dnno how others feel about it.In the past the mighty bird was against it but we may do it secretly so he wont notice:).

Can you make an example on one map so its easyer to sell the idea to all.If you want access to test server,let us know.

Minimap is where I taught its gonna be. Can we make minimap bigger so it would be easier to determine where the line of allowed/not allowed actually is? 

But if we can do it on map itself then it fixes the issue of marking areas indoors.

Would be good to see some drafts on how it should look.

• Founders

This sounds great but I don't know how we would do it? changing map pk3 isn't a great idea as it would change the original maps causes issues with downloads as the name will have to change.

Also who is going to make all the maps? who is going to make map for the maps when we change them? we won't just be able to add maps when we feel like it we will have to wait for the maps to be done. We would also need to discuss every spawn killing point on every map before they are made.

So if you guys are really serious about this then you need to think about everything above and how it all will happen. 

• Like 1

We basically need 7-8 most popular maps,wheres sk is a problem.Isnt it possible to make one pk3 with 8 map minimap script orsm without changing map pk3s

Edited by Matu

• Founders
11 minutes ago, Matu said:

We basically need 7-8 most popular maps,wheres sk is a problem.Isnt it possible to make one pk3 with 8 map minimap script orsm without changing map pk3s

I thought they want this for every map on the server. I have no idea if its possible to make a sperate pk3 for the minimaps for each map.

Well its pretty easy. In each map file you can find these "pictures" we can easily upload a z file mod that rewrite over the orginal maps. When people open their limbo or "map" they can see those red boxes. Its pretty easy to fix that. Send me a list of all maps you want to fix ill give you the pictures if you edit them ill make a z_file for it

Edited by Dmxj

Good job!

However, Supply Depot stands out as being slightly wrong - the red dot in the grey building should be in the middle, where the downstairs stairs are, rather than to the right. The map shows mostly the upstairs layout. The stairs are between the two outside entrances, exactly in the middle of the room on the horizontal axis, with exactly three floor tiles to the wall on each side (I checked). The downstairs room with the stairs takes up the full width of the building, therefore the dot should be right in the middle.

Should there not also be a red dot at the bottom of the map where the second axis spawn exit tunnel & stairs are?

On 5/12/2022 at 6:42 PM, Dmxj said:

Send me a list of all maps you want to fix ill give you the pictures if you edit them ill make a z_file for it

You can send me:

- Goldrush
- Pirates,
- Siwa oasis,
- erdenberg_t2
- Bremen final*
- etl_adlernest
- etl_sp_delivery
- Frostbite final*
- Würzburg Radar official
- etl_supply
- Caen 2 final*
- Braundorf final*

Or just everymap you have. Then I'll try to post each map with number and we all will accept or make adjustment to the areas ;)