Proposal drastic change map voting system

We have been using the current voting system for a while now and it seems that we always play the same 6 maps. Several players complain about this and also want to play the "other" maps.

Now I would like to suggest that you can still give 3 votes, but with negative points.

The map with the fewest negative points is then played.

So you can still give 3 maps points that you really don't want to play.

If there are multiple maps left with 0 penalty points, the map that has not been played the longest will be played.

I am convinced that this way we have more diversity in the mappen and that Mini puts new maps on the server for a reason :)

What is your thought on this ?

• Like 2

I think things are going to get complicated pretty fast if they add + and - votes to the system.

If it was up to me there would be some kind of fair scheduling of maps, ideally you want all maps to be played roughly the same amount so the voting system would see x and y are being played less and substitute them with maps b and c  that are being played more often than anything else in the voting screen.

First suggestion : disable this SR on this maps if it's possible  That's the worst frustrating thing I saw since I came back on ET.

I know, everybody says : it doesnt matter BUT ... it does matter. It's something we don't talk about but I think it generates a lot of bad stuff. Just watch when a team loose, how many players go to spec ? how many are waiting to join the "right" team ?

When a new map is voted, everybody goes to spec too. Why ? Probably because you don't want to loose -0.20 on an unknow map.

Well that said, I just played on a giant new map and I lost -0.15 playing with 3 bots that didn't know where to go, me neither. So I ragequit at the end :D

• Like 2

10 hours ago, FrenchPie said:

I'm not sure your proposal is easily understandable by the players

seems quite simple to me. It's about elimination rather than nomination.

To make it clear to all, just add little text "vote for maps you DON'T want to play"

Edited by Cyber

8 hours ago, Ralaoups said:

know, everybody says : it doesnt matter BUT ... it does matter. It's something we don't talk about but I think it generates a lot of bad stuff. Just watch when a team loose, how many players go to spec ? how many are waiting to join the "right" team ?

Yeah I don't care for it much either, not bothered about mine but it really adds insult to injury after a few bad maps with the same team not doing well, I can spend maybe 20 mins trying my best only to lose some points at the end of it. It's just demoralizing more than anything and I'll certainly leave after a couple of bad maps just to having a s****y feeling from the whole thing.

First of all a lot of people do not even use voting system. For most accurate result all should participate.

I do not like spending lot of time in choosing the map process so it has to be very simple and easy (smaller map list, less votes). Time window between maps is small 1min and voting + everything else has to happen withing that 1 minute.

voting -1 for maps feels like unnecessary complicated. If i go to shop and there is 1 apple, 1 banana, 1 potato. Lets say i want apple and if i can only eliminate potato i am left with 50% chance for apple or banana. There are easier ways to increase  map diversity if server wants to go that direction.

For example increase last played map cycle that is currently around 14 maps or so. Increase it to 21 and u have 33% more variety at the cost of what majority of people want at given point of time. 1/3 Less Supply Depot, 1/3 more Transmitter. Double the current value and u see your favorite map 2x less and experience 2x more map diversity.

Probably some kind of algorithm is needed that will choose the maps into voting list to gain more control over map list. The algorithm should be easily customizable and voting system in general whatever the direction server wants to pick. Favor "new" maps, less popular maps or popular maps.

Next legacy update will change map voting a bit: https://github.com/etlegacy/etlegacy/issues/2100

Also not in use feature: https://github.com/etlegacy/etlegacy/wiki/Dynamic-map-vote-list

On 8/25/2022 at 3:12 PM, Ralaoups said:

When a new map is voted, everybody goes to spec too. Why ? Probably because you don't want to loose -0.20 on an unknow map.

• Not having enough motivation to put effort into learning new map. It takes time  to learn and play map efficiently. For me Decay was a disaster map at first but after 38hours of that map i can tell it is most fun map to play.
  • Quality of game is higher on well balanced map where everyone knows what to do compared to new map where most are headless chicken.
  • If you come to play for few matches you prob want to play maps where you know what to d and vote for your favorite map.

Those above points could be some of the reasons why some people are not interested in new maps.

Edited by uips

I would like to see it changed, but I see the pro vs cons.

i notice for myself that I stopped playing more and more as, on the one side, most medics are rambo  and, on the other side, it are the same 4 fecking maps over and over again…

If SR or other ‘scores’ are responsible for that it should go imho… but then again who am I?

I think it's a great idea! It would allow for more diversity in the maps played and also give players a chance to play the maps they really want to play.

I also think that if there are several cards with 0 points left, one of those cards that has not been played for the longest time should be played. 

This would ensure that all maps get a fair chance to be played and that no map is left out for too long.

1 hour ago, Jessica said:

I would love some comments like : Oh thats a great idea to try. Lets try it for 1 week :)

@MiniMuppet Is it even possible to change this ? And is it done easy, or is it a big change ?

you can't do that with the current (or future) map vote system. that's why you won't hear any comment about trying it

IMO you guys should focus on keep a healthy teams and more mid-size and big maps, or apply weapon restrictions to small maps instead of 20v20 special delivery-style maps.

Server has become unplayable with the voicechat flooding, team stacking, and mortar freaks mortaring on the sk line, fix that first then maybe people wanna play different maps.