Unnecessary text and color in kill spree and revive spree notifications.

1. Unnecessary text and color in kill spree and revive spree notifications. I think the red notification is unnecessary as it is double notification (same text in green) and red is color that mostly displays teamkills. On the picture line below is without the red message. I think it tidies config log up a little bit and leaves the color red for team kill. if someone agrees? 😄 And would it be possible to disable these popups appearing in chat window (Kill spree + Revive spree)(like you can do with death popups). In big server it feels like it is spamming the chat box.
  2. Notification on double kill etc. Example: sometimes i get kill with grenade without even noticing it was double or multi kill as it can be valuable info sometimes.

Wolfadmin bundled with et legacy has sprees deleted so on the project side there is nothing to adjust since it doesn't even exists. TM is using their own version of wolfadmin/sprees, so you would need to talk to them.
  2. Another person to talk to would be the wolfadmin developer, but he is quite busy with real life.

Would it be possible to set these to 0 from client side? Basically let player decide what info to filter?

[sprees]

file (g_fileSprees)
Sets the name of the spree records config file. When nothing is set and the database type is config files, spree records are disabled.
type: integer
default: "sprees.toml" changed in 1.2.0

messages (g_spreeMessages) added in 1.2.0
Toggles which sprees to display.
type: bitflag
default: 0

• 0 no sprees will be displayed
  • 1 enable kill sprees
  • 2 enable death sprees
  • 4 enable revive sprees

records (g_spreeRecords)
Toggles whether spree records and revive sprees are enabled.
type: boolean
default: 1

just a concept to better distinguish between different sprees using color and less info.  Any thoughts?

Current:

KILL SPREE! player Is on a killing spree! (5 kills in a row!)

DEATH SPREE! player must be having a bad day (10 deaths in row!)

REVIVE SPREE! player is on a revive spree! (3 revives in a row!)

Example 1:

player Is on a killing spree (5)

player Is on a death spree (10)

player is on a revive spree (3)

(just by seeing the color and number u can understand what the information is compared to current version)

Example 2:

player Is on a killing spree: 5 kills in a row

player must be having a bad day: 10 deaths in a row

player is on a revive spree: 3 revives in a row

(Less blue, more neutral in message)

Edited by uips
  • Like 2

I've mentioned this a long time ago, i even would suggest to remove the death sprees + revivingsprees, because of to much spam.

Atm we have

1. Killingspree
  2. Revivingspree
  3. Deathspree
  4. Killingspree ended by person x
  5. Deathspree ended by person x
  6. Official legacy banner
  7. TM banners with discord
  8. TM Banner with website
  9. TM banner with recruiting

It's a bit to much spam imo

Added sounds would be client side only, that is how i remember it. You have sound effects of your own multi kills and sprees.and pref. this could be optional that means if someone does not want to experience this can turn it off like you can do with voice chats right now. 

And the announcements are kind of spam right now due the high number of players. There is always so much happening

And about TM banners. Possibly to someone who has played in server for years. Info is already known and it is somewhat of spam. For new players that info is good i guess? Anyways if u happen to see TeamMuppet menu icon one day.This info can be accessible through it and spamming banners in chat becomes unnecessary

Edited by uips

23 hours ago, uips said:

Example 1:

player Is on a killing spree (5)

player Is on a death spree (10)

player is on a revive spree (3)

If this was a vote, I would place my marker on this. To me it is simple and perfect. In an ideal world (and maybe it's possible on client) all chat spam could be removed and only appears are what people type because I find the rest of it to be spam, useless and distracting.

some more experimenting results in 3th Example:

! player - killing spree (5)

! player - death spree (10)

! player - revive spree (3)

even less info optional ! marker (or any other symbol) in front just to announce this info is about spree defined by color. "is on a" can be defined by a symbol for example "-". To me grey seems better option for death as red is mostly associated with teamkills. For fast info processing u need to see name color and number,

• Like 1

just testing with ! or without and actually without ! seems better

<=TM=>MiniMuppet - killing spree (5)

<=TM=>MiniMuppet - death spree (10)

<=TM=>MiniMuppet - revive spree (3)

! <=TM=>MiniMuppet - killing spree (5)

! <=TM=>MiniMuppet - death spree (10)

! <=TM=>MiniMuppet - revive spree (3)

killing spree!  <=TM=>MiniMuppet (5)

death spree <=TM=>MiniMuppet (10)

revive spree!  <=TM=>MiniMuppet (3)

Edited by uips

I'd like to add my 2 cents to the conversation. 

I see there are some issues. One is that when we use names, they might be in every colour user want, and we don't have impact on this.  Keeping this in mind, I think it's worth to separate name from message type by neutrals colours.

In your example, I'd add some neutral text colour between killing spree and name:

killing spree!  <=TM=>MiniMuppet (5

That's why I like your another example
player is on a killing spree(5) kills in a row!

Then I think it's worth to do some colour coding. Let's assign each of the colour to the message topic. I propose
Killing sprees (all types) be red as they are more about killing.
Revive sprees - green (healing)
Death spree - blue as it shouldn't be yelling colour, bcs no one want's to be spotted in that spree

Other TM banners I think should include TM brand colours (I mean not whole text but just some details).

And about the uppercase. I think They were added and placed in red just to make them an eye-catcher, and I agree with it. It should be very prominent because it's somehow reward for the player (many players I think want to be spotted when they are on revive/killing spree). Maybe the example you presented are enough eye-catcher ;)

Besides it, I see @uips that you're very engaged in server and ET life, and you have very good ideas. Thanks for your effort!

from game perspective killing is not a bad thing :D. From that viewpoint green = success , red = failure. but i actually like the dimmer shade of colors. just  to visually present more options. Note bright green is also text message color.

<=TM=>MiniMuppet is on a killing spree. 10 kills in a row!

<=TM=>MiniMuppet is on a death spree (5)

<=TM=>MiniMuppet is on a revive spree (3)

i guess the coloring in the end is really how someone prefers it. yet that dimmer shade of red also looks good. death spree no color as no one really wants to be noticed in one? :D

here is one possible TM brand message example.

TeamMuppet: Please keep teams even

Edited by uips

Yeah right 

37 minutes ago, uips said:

from game perspective killing is not a bad thing

Yeah right :D 

I just noticed that all TM text are in the brand colours, so I think they are ok ^^ 

Another thing I see that that dark blue neutral colour is less noisy than white, so actual it looks pretty good. Maybe I used to actual colours. Anyway I'm open to test changes :) 

27 minutes ago, Nanaa said:

Slightly off-topic but something could be done to help find "Dynamite planted at X location" messages. Right now they get lost in the flood. I only hear "Dynamite planted" but don't know where 😅

You mean at the side of the screen?

If you go "View" in settings and look under "Popup Filters" you can filter out kills/deaths/etc and it makes it easier to see the dyno/mission messages - it still shows people joining teams and going spec though which is a little annoying but faaaar better than default. The mod could definitely do with more filtering options.

@RandyMarsh Yes, filtering others is one solution. They could also have an objective icon and certain color to distinguish better. Right now they are plain white text but highly important.

EDIT: Ahh, the filters don't affect console. Console is the place where I go search if I missed pop-up.

EDIT2:  But now that pop-ups aren't flooded by death messages, I can spot mission messages better!

Edited by Nanaa
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Dmxj said:

i even would suggest to remove the death sprees + revivingsprees, because of to much spam.

would definitely be less spam. i often have to open console to see what people typed because so much info appearing in chat box. Also some of the spree lines are so long they actually take up 2 rows in chat window.

some in game test

test.png

• 2 weeks later...

This message also spams unnecessary a lot. I think it is fine to have this message once per map, preferably in the start or end. if it is possible to change intervals or something

testtttttttttttt.png

Edited by uips

7 hours ago, uips said:

This message also spams unnecessary a lot. I think it is fine to have this message once per map, preferably in the start or end. if it is possible to change intervals or something

testtttttttttttt.png

Euhm we can integrate this to the mapconfig insteat of mapscript/lua i think.

Didnt checked the file yet

• Founders
On 10/22/2022 at 12:44 PM, uips said:

testtttttttttttt.png

Just edited the lua to change the time frequency, I'll watch the next map

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for wading late into this thread.. I like the general idea but would prefer to keep kill spree messages prominent with that red all-caps prefix.

I use it often to track players that got behind friendly lines (Gold Rush especially), or have overwhelming influence by being stationed in a strong position (MGs, etc.) and prioritise my targeting accordingly.