Radar Summer

https://et.trackbase.net/map/152/

There is different version of Radar with few changes. Anyone played it? Worth to swap with original radar for some timer to see how it goes?

1. No annoying fog and better draw distance (can see the difference on pictures below)
  2. Axis have on new additional spawn. (Good or bad?)
  3. Allies have additional objective to complete. Destroy radars (see the picture)
  4. There are 2 doors to blow up at side entrance. (To delay CP capture?)
  5. Axis have defensive tank that drives into middle of battlefield

radaroriginal1.png

radarsummer1.png

radarsss.png

Edited by uips
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, uips said:

https://et.trackbase.net/map/152/

There is different version of Radar with few changes. Anyone played it? Worth to swap with original radar for some timer to see how it goes?

1. No annoying fog and better draw distance (can see the difference on pictures below)
  2. Axis have on new additional spawn. (Good or bad?)
  3. Allies have additional objective to complete. Destroy radars (see the picture)
  4. There are 2 doors to blow up at side entrance. (To delay CP capture?)
  5. Axis have defensive tank that drives into middle of battlefield

radaroriginal1.png

radarsummer1.png

radarsss.png

About 1 point, you can disable it by r_wolffog 0

4 hours ago, lost said:

About 1 point, you can disable it by r_wolffog 0

i guess i ment more the draw distance. You can see everywhere and there is no sharp edge for end of distance (wolffog 0), a feature that should be cheat protected in first place :D
for example You can see both objectives on summer edition from this place. In original you can not.

line.png

radar.png

Edited by uips

I remember there beeing even Radar version with sort of tunnel going from flag bunker to below fake radar and having doorway there. :D Not bad idea to experiment with different radar versions.

• 2 weeks later...

Objects going inside terrain does not happen in summer version. ( med packs / ammo / grenades/ weapons / landmines / in some extreme cases even player can hide this way)

https://github.com/etlegacy/etlegacy/issues/2098

So this is another major reason why at least this map is worth a try i think.

With little adjustments in script this map can be made to behave as default radar.

Edited by uips

• 4 weeks later...

Only positive so far of this version is it's something different to what's played every day. But the novelty wears off very quick

The negatives are allied snipers are almost impossible to see. Personally, my FPS is about 30% less than on original version, so I imagine casual players are same or even worse. Though I quite like some of the terrain for hiding and sneaking the bushes are overkill. The tank doesn't really add anything to the game either, just annoying repaired/damaged announcements. I actually didn't even notice there was additional allied objectives, I'm sure when allies won it was just radar parts to truck? Might have missed something!

39 minutes ago, Danimal said:

Agree on the allies snipers being impossible to see... very frustrating.

Also think the tank is too much of an advantage to axis (if they remember to fix it at the start of the map)...

As an allied sniper, I love it :D But yeah crouching in the bushes on the cp/garage side hills offer very nice sniping spots. Still, there are a lot of blind spots we can't see.

But it goes both ways. I enjoyed sniping on axis too and axis has an easy access to the roofs which offer a great angle to protect the west radar parts. The roofs are not even slippery on this version.

Edited by Nanaa

• 4 weeks later...

Just give us the original Radar map back, with r_drawfoliage 0.

This Summer map is horrible to play. Maybe i'm getting old but I see nothing on it (Allies or Axis). Colors are really bad.

Bushes are roughly drawn . Enemies can hide in them. War is not fun anymore :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ralaoups said:

Just give us the original Radar map back, with r_drawfoliage 0.

This Summer map is horrible to play. Maybe i'm getting old but I see nothing on it (Allies or Axis). Colors are really bad.

Bushes are roughly drawn . Enemies can hide in them. War is not fun anymore :D

or atleast throw this version instead https://et.trackbase.net/map/7714

• 1 month later...
On 6/5/2023 at 1:55 PM, Nanaa said:

As an allied sniper, I love it :D But yeah crouching in the bushes on the cp/garage side hills offer very nice sniping spots. Still, there are a lot of blind spots we can't see.

But it goes both ways. I enjoyed sniping on axis too and axis has an easy access to the roofs which offer a great angle to protect the west radar parts. The roofs are not even slippery on this version.

Summer edition offers more variety for gameplay imo.

For example noo draw distance limit and bushes make snipers more efficient in this map compared to original.

Bushes can be used for sneaking / hiding from enemy fire.  Some bushes are too high tho as they almost hide a standing player.

If you play with blurred textures and bright player model textures to maximize spotting enemy target you are going to feel frustrated in this map as map design works against what such configs aim to achieve.

IWith 4k resolution everything is sharp and easily detectable. Although if u play with blurred textures, small resolution and no AA you might experience a lot of unrecognizable pixels i guess (Makes hard to detect what is happening?).

Majority of players might prefer Original Radar.

Edited by uips