Voice announcements freeze the game

serayha

I just got a new laptop and I've been having a problem: the game freezes for a split second when loading/playing voice announcements like "Barrier destroyed". It's probably something to do with the configurations, but I can't figure out what it is. I tried setting soundmegs to 256 and "r_primitives 2" like someone recommended, but to no avail.

My computer is:

i7-4800MQ

GTX 870M

8GB RAM

Windows 8.1 Pro

Hence I doubt the problem is in the computer itself, but in something else. Thanks for your help!

suggested that earlier random, serayha said soundMegs are already set to 256 and to be honest the sounds shouldn't really require as much as that.

sorry serayha but i have no idea what else you can try but i hope you get it sorted so i'll be checking this topic regularly!

good luck :)

I just got a new laptop and I've been having a problem: the game freezes for a split second when loading/playing voice announcements like "Barrier destroyed". It's probably something to do with the configurations, but I can't figure out what it is. I tried setting soundmegs to 256 and "r_primitives 2" like someone recommended, but to no avail.

My computer is:

i7-4800MQ

GTX 870M

8GB RAM

Windows 8.1 Pro

Hence I doubt the problem is in the computer itself, but in something else. Thanks for your help!

Quit haxxing then! :sofa:

Had the same problem on my mac, every time an announcement was made the game got stuck for a short time to several seconds. Did what has been suggested here, and that worked. Lucky for me Apple decided to make a new OS that didn't support the game anymore, so now I play on a pc-emu but have never had that problem there.

Ok I suppose you got a MSI Laptop?

First check if there is a newer version available for your soundcard&laptop on their website.

http://www.msi.com/support/

Reason is those MSI Laptops have a lot of software bundled, and some of it might not work with latest drivers. Most likely some sound enhancing sofware like THQ.

Well if you want to experiment right from the start.. lol..

Download the newest driver directly from Realtek, thing is - this might make more problems then solve - on the other hand, it might make no problems at all and fix all.

Click this link, http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsview.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

Then click the checkbox and press next, then download the driver for I suppose 64bit Windows 8.1 - and install it.

In worst case you will have to uninstall it again, and install the one from your manufacturer.

How did you guess that I have an MSI laptop? I will try to follow your advice and see what happens. Another problem is: sometimes it lags and sometimes it doesn't, which makes it hard to even determine whether the problem is gone or not. Thanks for your help.

I google your specs, and hit 99% msi laptops.

Try this:
Under 3D Settings -> Manage 3D settings -> Program settings, for WolfET, turn "Threaded Optimization" off (in lieu of On or Auto).

Updating drivers will most likely not help at all, as bartmen already said,
but still try updating those provided by MSI - if there are any updates.

there is a problem with realtek souncards and ET it cant be fixed only cure is to get another soundcard

More on this, its apparently an issue between Realtek and Punkbuster; and also affects other games.
So start by having latest punkbuster.
So use this http://etkey.org/pages/punkbuster/auto---install-for-windows-by-harlekin.php and get latest available pb for ET.

Lastly try this (from http://en.kioskea.net/faq/8280-freeze-battlefield-bad-company-2 ):

Terminating the audio manager

• Start the task manager (CTRL + ALT + DEL)
  • Terminate RAVCpl64.exe or RAVCpl.exe according to the version of Windows installed.

If the problem is solved then follow the manipulation below for some automation.

Start /Run/msconfig.exe e
Deselect Realtek Audio HD Manager

Still the easiest will be to buy a usb soundcard for 1€ or something..

This may sound like a silly suggestion, but if you have onboard sound, try plugging something into the microphone jack. The issue pertains to one of the more common onboard sound chips, namely the RealTek chip. Even a pair of headphones, if you don't have a mic.

From: http://www.pbbans.com/forums/vista-premium-64-bit-punkbuster-enemy-territory-or-call-of-duty4-hard-freeze-t82167.html

I downloaded all relevant drivers. If PB is the issue, can I get rid of it? Nobody uses PB nowadays anyway.

if you wanna play on public etpro servers most have pb on atm

• 1 year later...
Guest bamby

I do realize this is an old topic, but I have the exact same issue when playing on your server and it is pretty annoying. None of the suggestions in this topic seem to help as well. Maybe someone has some experience in fixing this issue?

I am using ET legacy 2.74 and my sound settings are following:

seta s_volume "0.5"                
seta s_musicvolume "0"              
seta s_doppler "1"               
seta s_khz "44"                    
seta b_hitsounds "1"                
seta b_shovesounds "0"               
seta b_goatsound "0"             
seta cg_noVoiceChats "1"          
seta cg_announcer "0"               
seta s_mixahead "0.2"               
seta s_mixPreStep "0.05"