• Founders
On 28/05/2017 at 10:28 PM, miraro3 said:

direct DB access should be a last resort because of security reasons.

Correct, the main site database access to open source freeware software is a no no, hackers paradise, I'm glad you appreciate the consequences of doing so!

How is the chat coming along? I'm not seeing much in the way of change or usage to be honest.

I did install and try three other versions, Aerial chat, Ajax chat and phpopenchat if you think any of these would be better, these and the current chat are installed into separate databases to the site so access to these can be granted as they pose no security risk to our site.

40 minutes ago, MrMuppet said:

Correct, the main site database access to open source freeware software is a no no, hackers paradise, I'm glad you appreciate the consequences of doing so!

How is the chat coming along? I'm not seeing much in the way of change or usage to be honest.

I did install and try three other versions, Aerial chat, Ajax chat and phpopenchat if you think any of these would be better, these and the current chat are installed into separate databases to the site so access to these can be granted as they pose no security risk to our site.

I think we are on the same level when it comes to that. Security, especially these days, should be top priority.

I have taken a look at the chat settings only to notice that it's quite limited. I also noticed that the automatic clearing of chat history is not working. I've spent some time on chat and I'm not loving the experience completely.

I've also been thinking that maybe a different chat might be a better option, so I would gladly take a look at the chats you mentioned.

I also haven't had the time yet to take a deep dive into it, which is why there aren't any changes made yet. Which is probably good, since there might be better options on the market than blab chat.

On 2017-6-2 at 3:08 PM, MrMuppet said:

Do you want this completely removing and another adding?

Eventually I think that will be the right thing to do.

I have a thesis to finish this month. If we don't have a chat box by the time I'm done with my thesis I will create a chat myself. I've already spent some time thinking about the mechanics and I think I might be able to pull it off without too much effort.