Run ET off 4 cores?

Guest Derezzed

Guest Derezzed

I rently got a quad core and noticed ET doesnt run off all but 1 core i tried one tool meant to force it to run off all 4 but ET could never load up does anyone know a method to make it run on more than 1 to help the game load quick ect?

Why did you want to run Enemy Territory on 4 cores?

Microsoft® Windows® 98/ME/2000/XP OS /Linux.

Intel® Pentium® III 600Mhz processor comparable AMD

128 MB RAM

32 MB 100% compatible OpenGL® 3-D Videocard

Microsoft® DirectX® 8.1

I thing you mean ET Tool: Set Affinity Version 1.4

3039.gif

My opinion that tool is very useless for Enemy Territory.

Maybe this tool is helpful if you want to start a gameserver with 30 Slots or more via internet.

For playing ET it does not need even a dual core processor.

I play Enemy Territory on one of my quad cores with 333 FPS and 1280/720 px (not tweaked)

And thats more than enough.

Regards,

StoerFaktoR

Guest Derezzed

I tried that tool it couldnt load ET i just what it to run on 4 cores for it to run Smoothly no overload one core wheile the others are idle

• Founders

Hey, welcome back StoerFaktor good to hear from your again.

I think the NQ 1.2.7 mod did this but got removed for some reason, that was a few years ago, I'll go check out shitstorms site.

Guest Arphji

It would have to be written for multiple cores - unless there's a mod for it, you aren't likely to be able to do this.

At least as far as I know :)

Second this, ET is not built for muilti cores, theres quite a chance ur performance will go down if you attempt 4 cores.

• Founders

From NQ, knew I had used it some where;

From NoQuarter 1.2.5 - 1.2.7 , Linux and Windows server and client could decide to set this new feature. If we have a multicore CPU, it allows to decide what CPU/CPUs from the available ones will execute the game. This is useful for both reduce the cache-misses caused by the constant switching of cores that the game runs on and improve the system utilization design. Some examples:

a dual core user could decide to run the game with one core and exec other background applications with the other one, with the result to have a more fulid gameplay then just run the game on all, busy, available cores you can run a local server with one core and a local client with the another core A server admin can dedicate one core to each ET server he wants to run on his machine, or divide the cores between the game server and other applications

Usage: In order to use this feature, you've to set the cvar cpu_affinity. This cvar is a bitmask value and it works just as other bitmask cvars work: each bit represent a core available on the system. The default value is 0 and it means the affinity is set to all available CPUs. Example : Dual core: In a dual core system, we will have CPU0 and CPU1. Then, the bit values are :

CPU0 = bit 1 CPU1 = bit 2

If you want to set the game affinity to CPU0 then you've to set:

cpu_affinity 1

If you want to set the game affinity to CPU1 then you've to set:

cpu_affinity 2

If you want to reset the affinity settings, so make the game to run on both CPUs, then you've to possibilities:

cpu_affinity 0

or

cpu_affinity 3

It's easy to understand that a value of "3" means the game will run on both CPU0 and CPU1 Example : Quad core: In a dquad core system, we will have CPU0, CPU1, CPU2 and CPU3. Then, the bit values are :

CPU0 = bit 1 CPU1 = bit 2 CPU2 = bit 4 CPU3 = bit 8

The way to set up the affinity is exactly the same as before, only now you have more CPUs you can use, so you can make different combinations like:

CPU0 + CPU2 = cpu_affinity 5

or:

CPU1 + CPU2 + CPU3 = cpu_affinity 14

Useful Linux tools There are some useful tools for Linux systems that allow to monitor the CPU usage and process-affinity. For Debian etch you can try the package schedutils. Installing this will allow you tu use the command taskset, that can get or set the CPU affinity of a particular process. To know the PId of a process you can simply use the command top in the Linux console, and then run the command:

taskset -p PId

to get information about the affinity of the process PId. Taskset also allow you to change the affinity of a process through Linux console, but WE STRONGLY RECOMMEND TO SET THE AFFINITY OF ET WITH THE NEW CVAR AND NOT THROUGH THE LINUX CONSOLE. The lenny package to enable this features is linux-util. Another useful Debian etch package is sysstat that will produce statistics about the CPU usage. You can print to the console this statistics with the command:

mpstat -P ALL

That will give you a lot of informations you can use to design you server's affinity settings.

Note: Check if setting affinity on Windows Vista & higher really is an improvement. Some users reported fps drops if affinity is set on those OS.

• 3 weeks later...