dual monitor setup

scyth

I just hooked up a new 1080p 24" ASUS monitor and set it as my main so that I can run LoL and my start up screen etc from it (because obviously it's better quality)

However, I need a way to still play ET on my old monitor as it runs smoother on the lower res.

I play League Of Legends as well as ET which is why I can't solve the problem by simply setting my lower res monitor to the main.

Any ideas guys and gals? You're all a lot smarter than me :laugh:

Hi mate,

sorry, i am little bit puzzled what you mean - you want to setup your ET for your new monitor (for better resolution) ?

for example, when you want to have native resolution 1920x1080 you can do it by simple settings in your config file:

seta r_mode "-1" (it also could be for example 5 ... but it depends on your own resolution table - will describe it below)
seta r_customheight "1080"
seta r_customwidth "1920"

seta r_aspectratio 1
seta r_customaspect 1

seta r_displayrefresh 75 (based on what frequency in Hz your monitor support)

also, if you want to run it in fullscreen:
/seta r_fullscreen1
or
/seta r_fullscreen 0

if you want to test more resolutions you also can setup your own resolution table for quick changes:

seta r_mode 7 (in our case it should be 9)

seta r_mode "0" 320x240
seta r_mode "1" 400x300
seta r_mode "2" 512x386
seta r_mode "3" 640x480
seta r_mode "4" 800x600
seta r_mode "5" 1024x768
seta r_mode "6" 1152x864
seta r_mode "7" 1280x1024
seta r_mode "8" 1600x1200

seta r_mode "9" 1920x1080

seta r_aspectratio 1
seta r_customaspect 1

seta r_displayrefresh 75 (based on what frequency in Hz your monitor support)

btw. there is also another and easy way, how to test right resolution (without edits in your config file)

-> this way you can use for tests but for 'normal' usage its better to write it into your config ...

1. right-mouse click on your ET shortcut and click on Properties

2. in Targed, after ..../et.exe" add this: +r_mode "-1" +r_customwidth "1920" +r_customheight "1080" +r_aspectratio "1" +r_customaspect "1" +r_fullscreen "1" +vid_restart

3. click on ok and run your ET shortcut.

4. next time if you want to change your res. just edit the line above (2.)

If you will have another questions, feel free to ask :D

Sorry eagle, that's not what I was asking. I know how to change resolution haha :P

I'm just trying to find a way to run ET on my second monitor while my first monitor stays "main". You must not understand how dual monitors work so hopefully someone else will!

thanks anyway birdy :D

ah ...

from et manual:

Ingame Issues

- Dual Monitor Support

Dual monitors are not supported by Enemy Territory and may cause the game to function improperly.

but there is the way :D ... try to disable fullscreen mode and follow this:

1. Disable fullscreenmode in config (described in topic above)
  2. Launch Game.
  3. Hit Alt + Enter.
  4. Move your windowed game across to the desired monitor.
  5. Click the game.
  6. Normaly exit from the game
  7. Change fullscreen mode back to 1

hope this help ...

http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/138531/how-to-move-a-fullscreen-game-to-the-second-monitor

I found the suggestion with "windows key + P" intriguing. But having no dual monitor setup, I can't test it.

One option is to switching your machine to "projector only" mode. Hit "windows key" + P and select projector only mode. This will treat your machine as having only one monitor (in this case, the secondary monitor).

You won't see any more output on your laptop screen, but you will be able to play the game fullscreen on your secondary monitor without performance loss.

Once your game starts, you can turn off projector mode and the game will stay on your other monitor.

http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/138531/how-to-move-a-fullscreen-game-to-the-second-monitor

I found the suggestion with "windows key + P" intriguing. But having no dual monitor setup, I can't test it.

I have concerns that this can works only on laptops (due special functions in DAC or based on integrated graphics card) but, it pointed me to another idea - try Windows logo key 0c970446-1432-4ea7-b578-67cc2b5844ae_0.j+Shift+right arrow key or left arrow key and this should work on normal PC ...

• Like 1

eagle tried that your first suggestion and it didnt work.

aily i tried this just now and while the first part of projecting it works, when you try to set it off so the monitors are in the "extended view" again it blacks out the screens and displays the et as a little window in the bottom left corner of the monitor.

eagle when i tried this it keeps the et fullscreen on the first monitor still but instead blacks out the secondary monitor and acts as if the secondary monitor has the et window... so to get the mouse to move within et i have to move my regular mouse to my blacked out secondary monitor then click to select the window. now that the window is selected i can move the mouse in et (which is still showing on the first monitor with a blacked out second monitor) but as soon as i click something within et the pc reverts back to using the windows mouse meaning i have to move the mouse back to the secondary monitor to reselect the et window before i can click once more. it makes me do this every single time i try to click :(