WASD Keyboard users: I need your help!

Towelie

So my old gaming keyboard broke and I bought a new one. Now it turns out, even though it says "anti ghosting - can use up to 6 keys simultaneously", this was really a gamble because it doesnt mean ANY 6 keys but only specific combinations. Now I can't use my old controls I used for strafe jumping and I can't return the keyboard which costs 50 euros.

So I have decided I will have change my old arrow key config, which I have  used for a few dozen games for the last 14 years, to WASD config. Since it is the only way this keyboard will let me use more than 3 keys simultaneously.

I wanna know what you use for key configuration. Is it the original keys ET suggests or do you have another setup?

Especially for strafe jumping.

I have been testing some combinations but they all feel so weird, not sure what will be optimal.

My old key config was:

Movement - arrows

crouch - shift

jump - ctrl

sprint - numpad 0

SMG - numpad 1

Syringe - numpad 4

Kill self - Numpad 2

Prone - /

Hang left - del

Hang right - Pg down

Reload /Med pack / Pistols- Mouse buttons 3/4/5 (wont change this)

I know people will probably laugh at this setup, but hey... If you learn yourself something this way it is hard to change. And besides it seemed to work OK usually :)

Thanks for any suggestions!

It was actually the cheapest ... Next ones as 100 euro and others were between 100-200. Figured it says "gaming keyboard" so it will cover the multiple keys simultaneous thing. But no I get screwed over once again by not doing my research. Lessons were learned but no way I'm buying another keyboard, I know people play with WASD config so I must be able to learn it as well. Just trying not to waste time with bad key configs.

well when it comes to movement i have pretty much default. WASD, space for jump c for crouch shift for sprint, x for prone. Only thing that is changed is walking in TAB i suppose

• Like 1

arrow keys? lol

I don't see what's the problem here. Wasd is organized the same as arrow keys, and you can still change shift for crouch and control for jump or whatever you want. Numbers for switching weapons are close to wasd too, and you can use q, e for leaning.

But yeah playing with default settings here.

Edited by GreatDanton
  • Like 1

Yeah, default keys work fine.

The only thing i regret is using c to crouch, it makes it hard to use both c and d at the same time when hiding behind someone you just revided

• Like 1

I don't see what's the problem here. Wasd is organized the same as arrow keys, and you can still change shift for crouch and control for jump or whatever you want. Numbers for switching weapons are close to wasd too, and you can use q, e for leaning.

Thanks Danton. I think you are right here, the thing is that I have played arrow config since I started playing ET 11 years ago so pretty much everything else feels weird right now. I have found a config I think will work, just have to practice a bit with it now. It's like playing a new instrument or something, brain has to re-adjust :P

"gaming keyboards" and "gaming xyz" in general, especially sound-related devices, cover rather their producers' pockets with money than gamer's needs..

Yep, a bit naive of me. I thought the term gaming keyboard would at least cover the simultaneous keys thing. And the glowing coloured keys was just extra. But it's the reverse. I had used my last keyboard for about 10 years, which was about the same cost and which DID cover the anti ghosting feature. Sad to see how quality has declinced, and the term gaming keyboard has no meaning (glowing coloured keys are supposed to cover the extra quality needed for gaming).

• Like 1

This works for me;

Movement - wasd
Crouch - ctrl

Jump - space
Sprint - shift

Walk - caps lock
SMG - number 1/mouse scroll

Secondary - number 2 /mouse scroll
Syringe - number 4
Kill self - mouse 5 (hardly use it)

Prone - x
Hang left - q
Hang right - e

Snipe scope - mouse 4

• Like 1

If your new keyboard came with a ps/2 connector - and your motherboard has a ps/2 connector use that instead of USB. Also if your motherboard has ps/2, but yozr keyboard did not deliver one.. time to get one.

With ps/2 you will be ab to press as ma keys you like :D

• 2 weeks later...