Screen Resolution

Charlie

It's me again asking for help with something yet again   ^_^

Some games I play I don't use my laptop's full resolution - in ET I use 1024 x 768 for example. So in these games I play with 2 black bars on either side of the screen and it's fine and dandy. Today when I try to play said games, they get stretched to my full 1366 x 768 resolution overighting the games options I've set. I haven't did any windows updates, fiddled with any display setting, or did anything different to what I usually do.

Is there a way to stop everything being so stretched and back to the resolutions I want with the 2 black bars either side?

This is what ET currently looks like, even though I have it set to run at 1024 x 768.

post-522-0-56717000-1431796106_thumb.jpg

Okay so the screenshot doesn't show it much, but it's really stretched lol     xD   And this is for everything I do in a lower resolution, not just ET.

Edited by Charlie

Smirre's link didn't work for me. That assumes my desktop resolution was broken and not just full screen gaming  :(

I finally found the right wording by pure chance ... "GPU Scaling" ... and I found a fix for it. I've no idea what caused the issue or if it'll happen again but solution 2 helped me on this thread:-

https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=4439.0

Weird.

Smirre's link didn't work for me. That assumes my desktop resolution was broken and not just full screen gaming   :(

I finally found the right wording by pure chance ... "GPU Scaling" ... and I found a fix for it. I've no idea what caused the issue or if it'll happen again but solution 2 helped me on this thread:-

https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=4439.0

Weird.

Driver updates are likely to blame here mate. So they turn on gpu scaling by default. If you run into more issues, let us know. 

It is really stupid of them to force anything on a gamer... Which solution worked for you? 

Btw Sir James. Do you speak English as a native language ;)

Yes english is my native language, I know it doesn't seem it though with the gibberish I type :P 

I haven't updated any drivers in a few months though. This is the solution, simple really:

a) Take the laptop's screen resolution down from 1366 x 768 to the next lowest (1360 x 768, I don't know why they bothered adding a resolution that was so extremely slightly lower than the next one up, but still...).

B) Go to the AMD Vision Engine Control Center > My Built in Displays > Properties (Built in Display). The scaling options are no linger greyed out (as they are when the laptop is at it's normal, maximum , resolution), and in fact there's a new option, Centered. I selected Centered, and of course applied the setting.

c) Then I changed the screen resolution back to 1366 x 768. The scaling options in the AMD Vision Engine Control Center are now greyed out again (and wrongly show full screen mode as being set, strangely), but the laptop no longer streches everything to full screen, and so far, every game I've tried has kept to it's native aspect ratio.

• Like 1

In my screen i can remove black bars on side by using screens own settings to putting it on 1:1 setting thing, same way you can put it back by 4:3. ( im not using laptop ) but idk how to do it on pc's own settings.

Edited by grandtheftsilveri