Story/poem Competition  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the best one

• Number1
    • Number 2
    • Number 3
    • Number 4

• Founders

Thank you to the people who took the time to enter the competition.

Please read each story/poem and then pick the one you enjoyed the most. They will just have numbers and no names.

Number one

The wind was howling through the abandoned city streets. Every night it reminds of me of the innocent souls that once were the beating heart of this place. Where are they now, would they still be alive? I try not to think about it, but the questions haunt me as I try to get some sleep. I look at the ceiling of what once probably was a luxurious living room and I wonder how the previous residents would feel if they saw we turned it into a military dormitory.

A loud snore pulls me away from my thoughts, back into reality. I turn to my left and see the beds of the others. They are probably asleep, as I should be. I look at the bed right next to mine. I see a rusty and fragile looking iron frame under a matrass which is not much thicker than your average winter coat. My eyes scan the bed sheets until I find a head poking out. I see the one guilty of the loud snore and I am not surprised. It could have been only one… Dan.

Daniel “Bladewarrior” Holland. The first time I saw him, he was yelling insults towards an Oberst. At that time I had no idea what was going on and I could only imagine the horrible punishments he was going to face. Later I learned that he got in trouble for smuggling alcohol in to camp.

Our first mission together was about a year ago. We were sent just over the borders of Russia. I still remember how the cold and dry air felt like it was burning every inch of my skin. Our objective was to retrieve stolen ammo for our colossal secret weapon. It was an excellent piece of German engineering, almost futuristic. Our leadership named the mission “Railgun”, but they might as well have named it “Let Dan save your life a million times”. We were walking into a trap, the enemy forces dug in and set up MG’s everywhere. The mission failed, but we made it out alive, thanks to Dan.

Another loud snore. I reach over and slap him in the face. As I expected, he jumps up, not realizing it was me who slapped him. With a drunk look on his face he wants to make a run for the weapon cabinet but he trips over a lost shoe on the ground. He lands face first on the floor. I do everything in my power to keep myself from laughing out loud because I don’t want to wake up the others. Tears are rolling down my cheeks.

“Are you fucking serious?” Dan said, “This is the third time this week, you bastard” He wasn’t lying. “I’m sorry man, your snoring drives me crazy.” “That doesn’t mean you have to give me a heart attack every time”, he said while getting back in bed. “No, you’re right”. I dry the tears from my eyes. “But it is funny as fuck”. Dan smiled. I know him good enough to know that he can’t stay mad at me. We have been through too much together. “Do you want to catch some fresh air?” I asked him, “I can’t sleep anyways”. Dan agreed.

Simultaneously we reach under our beds and grab our standard issue army uniforms. Grey socks, black trousers, a dark grey shirt and sweater and a pair of black boots. A true fashionista’s nightmare. As softly as possible we head towards the door of the dorm room. Once there, like a true burglar, I open the door without making any noise. Once outside, Dan closes the door with a big slam behind him. “God damn it Dan”, “I know, shut up”.

It is warm outside. It is always warm here. A soft wind is going through the courtyard. The palm tree is waving peacefully through the wind. I glance up at the dark sky. There aren’t many clouds tonight, I can see some stars. We walk past the defective Jagdpanter. It is the only tank we have in our area. And it is broken. “When are they going to repair this tank you think?” I asked Dan, as he always knows everything. “Probably sometime next week, if they don’t forget about it again”. He has a point. Our Generaloberstens aren’t the brightest.

Dan takes a deep breath. “I just love how peaceful this place is”, he sounds relaxed. “Since we have been stationed here, I almost forget there is a war going on out there”. We take another round around the courtyard. The middle-eastern architecture here is beautiful. The dimmed lamps are shining a warm orange glow on the high white walls surrounding us. The pillars supporting some of the roofs remind me of pillars you would see at a royal palace. I wish this really was a palace. I wish the war was just a very bad dream.

“Dan.”
“Yes?”
“Thanks for watching my back all this time mate.”
“Yeah, you’re lucky to have me. Your sorry ass is like a trouble magnet.”
“At least it’s not a fat ass.”
“Asshole.”
“You wouldn’t like me as much if I weren’t an asshole.”
“That’s goddamn right, you muppet.”
“Talking about Muppets. Do you know who Statler and Waldorf are?”
“Those nagging grandpa’s that complain about everything?”
“Yes, I always imagined us being like that in the future.”
“Don’t go full sentimental on me.”
“Sorry Dan, forgot you have a heart cold as ice.”
“Oh fuck off.”

It’s quiet. Wait, it’s quiet. Even the command post has stopped beeping for some reason. I turn to Dan. “Something is wrong”. “You’re right”, he says, “It’s usually not this quiet around here”.

“What now?”
“We should go see if the city entrance is still closed off.”
“Shouldn’t we wake up the others first?”
“It might be nothing. If we wake them up for nothing we will be in trouble.”

Dan was right once again. We leave the courtyard through the big gate and make our way down to the city entrance. We inspect the ammo and first aid cabinets. They are still full. Aside from the occasional target practice routines we haven’t had to use a lot of ammo. We head further down the street.

The soft sound of whispering people is crawling from the alleyway we are headed towards. We both freeze. Someone is here. We sneak towards the corner of the street. The whispering is understandable now.

“But what if they know that we are coming?”
“Our information says that only a small division is stationed at the tank. Even if they know, it will be an easy fight.”
“So we go in there, kill them, repair the tank and then what?”
“Once our engineers have repaired the tank we will use it to fight our way through the city streets and make our way to the bank. Our orders are to steel the gold that the Germans have in there.”

My heart stops beating. I can feel the blood being drained from my face. They are here. Dan turns to me and looks into my eyes. We are thinking the same thing. FUCK. Slowly and on the top of our toes we walk backwards. If we make any sound now, we are dead. We arrive at the ammo cabinets. Dan whispers “What the fuck. Nobody told us that the enemy would be here!” I nod. “We don’t have time to think about it. We need to wake the others up.”

We run through the gates, over the courtyard, straight into the dorm room. Dan sounds the alarm and yells “Get out of bed you lazy fucks, they are here, the yanks are here! They are coming! Get outside!” It took only a few seconds before full chaos took over. Confused, frightened faces everywhere. People are getting dressed, running for their gun, praying.

We head back out and run to the Oberst’s sleeping room located at the opposite side of the courtyard. Dan slams the door open. The Oberst jumps and starts yelling. Dan puts his hand over his mouth. “Shut up, you worthless bureaucrat. The enemy is here. They are going to steal the tank and steal the gold. We have alarmed the others.” The Oberst calms down immediately.

“If what you say is true, we also have to warn the division that is stationed at the bank.”
“Finally something useful is coming out of your mouth.”
“Go, we will try to hold them of as long as possible.”

Dan’s head turns towards me. I nod. We head back to the courtyard. Chaos. Soldiers running everywhere, bumping into each other. People are asking what is going on. I want to explain. Dan grabs my arm. “No time. We have to go.” I want to protest. “Shut up”. He pulls me away.

We run through the back exit of the courtyard. The first shots are being fired at the ammo cabinets. I can hear grenades exploding. The road leads down towards a road block. I hear an airplane getting closer. We reach the stairs leading down to the city centre. Load explosions. That airplane must have been carrying out an airstrike. We hear a tank revving in the distance. They succeeded. Those bastards.

Number 2

Miss Piggy poem

I light a candle with TM Eagle blood.
I breathe it in,gasping for more and more
When I send TM EAGLE up to the sky
ETPUB is filled with flames,
All my wishes going numb.
Yet i feel already, how my heart in fire
When I send TM EAGLE up to the sky
Still empty is my soul,
No light in killing job.
Blood gushes out of veins,
When i put out the fire
With my MP40

Number 3

TM story!

Once upon a time in a land far, far away there lived three good friends: NIKI, KARIN and Muhrandithrir (MUH for short). They all lived quite happily in the little town of GROBAR. Niki lived with her husband KETIV and Karin with her husband EERIK. Muh lived with her two cats, MACKA, and a very small cat whom she nicknamed MINI due to her minute size. They all lived their day-to-day lives quite happily: Niki has an engineering degree and spends her time repairing JETs, Karin has a mathematical mind and has a highly important job designing the new LED to come on the market soon: the ALISTAR 3.1, so called for its incandescence. Muh is a chef and cooks all kinds of foods of all different FLAVOURs.

However, all was not well and this cosy world was soon to be broken.......

One day Muh woke up and looked out at the sky. It was 1pm (Muh had had a very late night down at CHARLIE's bar) and yet the sky was pitch dark. She ran to wake up the others and they all gazed outside. Pitch black across the whole skyline. They could see some of their other friends all gathering outside too including their closest neighbour and friend, JESSICA. They rushed out to ask her what on earth was happening. 'It's the evil wizard,' replied Jessica. 'He has taken over the hilltop and set up his headquarters there. He has cast a great evil over the town and now demands that we all work for him. They say his name is PEYOTE!' 'Omguuuu,' cried Muh. I'm not working for him! No way! 'Too right!' replied Karin, incensed at the idea. 'I have an idea,' cried Niki, having remained silent and contemplative until now. 'I remember my father spoke of a wise CENTAUR who lived atop a mountain in the village of KAVALI. He is said to have come to the aid of this town many years ago when we were threatened by RATSU the damned. If we can find him I'm sure he will aid this town again.' 'Does he even exist?! You're believing in fairy tales now,' cried Karin. 'Am I? Replied Niki. Come with me. I have something to show you.' They rushed back into the house and Niki retrieved an old box from under her bed. 'This was passed down from my father to my brother, B3N, and then on to me. I too thought the Centaur was a myth until I saw this,' said Niki as she opened the box to reveal a great horn, the size of a human's arm. 'This horn broke off the Centaur when he dealt the final blow against Ratsu,' explained Niki. 'AND SO do you now believe me?!' Karin and Muh nodded as they came to realise the story was true. The trio rushed out of the door back into the crowded streets.

'But how do we even get to Kavali? It's miles away!' cried Muh. 'It will takes us weeks if we use our cars.' 'There might just be a way,' was Karin's response. Why don't we ask the conjurer on the other side of town in RHYNIX. THE GREAT DANTON is his name. They say he has a hover pod. That will get us there much faster. 'Oh not him!' repsonded Muh. 'He will only help us if we solve one of his puzzles and you know how they are impossible,' 'What have we got to lose?' said Niki. 'Only our prides,' answered Muh. 'Well, if we don't do something we will lose a lot more than that,' responded Niki. 'Oh oh, let's go then if we must,' said Muh, defeatedly. The trio headed along to Rhynix, south of the town where the Great Danton stood, already entertaining the folks who had come out to see why the sky was so dark. 'Good day lovely ladies,' cried Danton. Looking for some potions for your skin? I have something here, that can make you look 20 years younger.' 'What a load of TOSH,' retorted Niki. 'I am only 29 anyway, so you are saying this stuff can make me look 9?!' 'We need a fast transport to get to Kavali. We need it quick. What is your price?' 'Ten thousand KLANTS,' came Danton's reply, an eager grin spreading across his face. 'But it would take a year to afford that, if not more!' came Muh's disgusted response. 'Cmon girls let's go. I said this was a waste of time.' 'Hang on Muh,' replied Karin. 'What if we win one of your games? What will we get then?' 'Well....in that case I will let you have this!' Danton pointed behind the three girls. They turn to see a brand new hover pod sitting unused in the courtyard. A MIRARO 9000. 'Top of the range. Full DURO power, it can make nearly 400 DAREKS a minute,' responded Danton. 'That is just what we need!' cried Muh in joy. 'Heuheuheu,' chuckled Danton.' You have to win the prize first!' Danton pulled out three small shells from his pocket and one small seed. He placed the seed under one of the small shells. 'If you pick the correct shell with the seed under it, the pod is yours. And, as I am feeling generous, you can have three turns, one for each of you,' explained Danton. Niki took her turn first. Danton shuffled the seeds round so fast that Niki's head felt all dizzy and NAZous. Eventually she came to her senses and took her pick. Wrong. Karin then took her turn and also failed to pick the seed. Next came Muh. Danton shuffled the shells and Muh was ready to pick. However, Niki spotted something small in Danton's hand – the seed! 'Caught you!' Niki snatched the seed out of his hand. 'You cheater!' 'That's UNFORGIVENable' Now give us the hover pod or we will report you to TONI, the baron of this town. He will have you thrown in prison!' Danton, with a great sigh, and realising the game was up, threw the keys of the hover pod to Karin. Karin got on to drive with Niki and Muh in the passenger seats. Macka and Mini, who had been waiting patiently at Muh's heels, jumped in and sat in the back. And off they all flew with the light of the STARs shining on their backs.

They sped off for a couple of hours but it was already late evening and they realised that they had to stop for something to eat and a room for the night. By now they were in INTALJAland, which was known for it's eccentric and unseemly characters. They cautiously looked around, feeling like they were in ENEMY TERRITORY. They went into the nearby cafe. They were so famished after their daily antics that they each ordered a large steak for their meals. Niki and Muh had theirs medium rare, Karin, liking hers very well cooked, or VERY DEAD even, ordered hers well done. They contemplated the day's events and began discussing where they were going to spend the night. As they were talking a small man sat overhearing their conversations. He turned to them and introduce himself: 'My name is ANDY. I'm a local here. I can't help but overhear that you are looking to spend the night somewhere.' 'What if we do?' replied Niki, cautiously. 'Well, don't be alarmed,' replied Andy. 'But I have stayed in probably all of the hotels in this place. Some will rip you off completely. I suggest you totally avoid STEVE's place just across the road. He charges a huge amount of money and his rooms are not always clean. For me, the best place that combines value for money and comfort is Hotel PORTOS. The staff are very friendly, but just avoid the manager. They don't call him Dirty DONALD for nothing. He also apparently does the odd drug deal, or maybe it's just a bit of SHISHA. I dunno. He's dodgy, believe me. Avoid him and you will get a good deal and a decent night's sleep. Anyway, I am a very busy man and always working. I had best get back to it. Good luck girls.' With that, he downed the remainder of his drink and exited.

The girls took Andy's advice and checked in to Hotel Portos, doing well to avoid the glaze of Dirty Donald, who seemed to take a particular liking to Niki. 'Why don't we go check out the local bar? Asked Karin. 'A small drink or two won't hurt, and might help make today's events a bit easier to understand!' 'Sure,' replied Muh. Let's go. They walked up to the entrance when a large bouncer blocked their way. 'What a team of muppets we have here then,' he belowed. 'Sorry no FREAKs allowed in here!' he cried, pointing down to Macka and Mini. Muh looked incredulously at the bouncer: 'Excuse me MR, but these 'freaks' are my pets and if they don't get in then neither do I.' 'That's up to you,' replied the bouncer. 'The rules are the rules.' 'I'm not standing for this,' retorted Muh. She looked at the bouncer's name tag: MIKI. 'C'mon girls. Let's go and leave Mickey Mouse and his 'rules!' The three of them stormed off and decided to head back to their hotel rooms. They were exhausted and they all fell off to sleep as soon as their heads hit the pillows.

They awoke at the crack of dawn and all continued on their journey. However, the last leg of the adventure would take them through the valley of DEATH, from which very few travellers had ever returned. 'We must be careful now,' advised Karin. 'This valley is full of animals. There are HAWKs that swoop with huge talons and the odd WOLF as well. Rumour has it that the evil BLADE WARRIOR lives in one of the caves near here.' 'Does anyone nice live around her?' cried Muh. 'This place is horrid.' 'I'm cranking the speed up to maximum,' replied Karin. 'Hopefully we will be out of this hell hole in ABSOLUTE ZERO time.' They sped off as quickly as they could but two eyes were watching them. It wasn't long before the creature swooped....an EAGLE! It tried to grab Mini for its lunch, but Muh held on to her for dear life. 'Help guys! Get this thing off us.' 'I can't shake it off,' cried Karin desperately, weaving in and out of dips in the road. 'I have just the thing,' shouted Niki amongst the commotion. She reached into her back pack and pulled out the horn of Centaur that she had brought with her. With the speed of a SCYTH and a SLASH she whacked the Eagle on the head, causing it to go into a daze. The Eagle flew away, clearly not going to get a meal. However, that was not enough. In the commotion Karin lost control and the hover pod skidded across the green and smacked right into a huge tree STUMP. The girls were shook up but unharmed. 'Now what do we do?!' cried Niki. 'The pod is a write off.' 'No problem, responded Muh. 'Look up there,' she pointed up to the sky where the mountain of Kavali was clearly visible. 'It's only half an hour I say. We can do it.'

And they did do it. After over an hour of exhausting trecking (ooops, Muh!), they reached the summit. There they found a small hut. As the group approached a tall but thin, almost GAUNT, figure emerged. He looked incredibly imposing in the MOONlight and his FLESH PULSEd a greeny-yellow colour as he moved towards them. As he emerged into full view they realised they were now facing the Centaur. 'It's true!' cried Muh. 'I can't believe it's true!' Niki approached cautiously as the Centaur looked down menacingly. She trembled as she spoke, her voice at first coming out almost at a WHISPER: 'Great Centaur we need your help. An evil wizard has taken over our town of Grobar. He is threatening to enslave us all and make us work for him. He is like a VIRUS spreading across our lovely, beautiful town. Help us like you helped during my father's time.' The Centaur responded with a great, booming voice: 'Why should I help you? What right do you have to wake me from my slumber?! How do I know you are from where you say you are?!' 'Careful, Niki. He does not look pleased,' advised Karin. Niki however was unperturbed. She reached into her backpack and revealed the horn. She handed it to the Centaur who reached up atop his head and felt the spot where it once grew. Immediately the Centaur realised the truth in their words. 'So, you require my help once again do you? The folk of your town were always very pleasant and kind. Let's see what I can do for you.' And with a DING they were back in the town of Grobar. Dark and dismal.

They all marched up to the wizard's castle. It was grand and recently built to the finest standards and yet looked old and well-worn at the same time. Before the Centaur could even attempt to enter, Peyote emerged holding a staff that glowed purple, radiating against the darkness of the night. Centaur and peyote engaged in a grand duel, each casting spells against the other. The fight was ferocious at times. Peyote casting powerful VENOMous spells against Centaur, Centaur responding with an almost BIOnic strength to deflect and cast spells in return against Peyote. The fight seemed to be even. Mini was agitated by it all though. Darting to and fro. Left to right. Side to side. Suddenly Muh lost control and Mini ran straight in the direction of Peyote. Peyote looked down and, in the distracted moment, Centaur struck, hitting him clean across the chest. Peyote fell with a crashing boom of thunder. With a poof of smoke he disappeared. For good. All around, though, the castle was collapsing. Muh, Niki, Karin, Macka, Mini and Centaur rushed out of the building as far as their legs would carry them, dodging the debris as it collapsed all around them. Finally they made it out of the courtyard and turned to watch as the remains of Peyote's castle collapsed into the MUD. 'Well...evil has been defeated once again and I must return to my slumber. Until called for again,' said the Centaur as he began to fade away. 'Wait!' cried Karin.'Is that it? Won't you stay for a while? We want to thank you!' 'I am not entirely of this world,' replied Centaur, somewhat confusingly. 'If I stay here for too long I will end my existence. Good bye young ones. Live your lives well.' And with that he was gone. 'Look!' exclaimed Muh. 'The sun...it's coming up. At long last...everything is returning back to normal.' They all sat round and watched as the sun rose. A new day was dawning.

Number 4

It has meant the world

Having TM as a family
You will always be a part of me
Thank you all for having me

When times are tough
You are always there
It kept me going
Just knowing you care

You make me feel the love
I have within me
It’s not all about the game