Game crashes - Exception: Access violation (0xc0000005) - Solution

Eagle_cz

IMPORTANT NOTICE:

This is only 'dirty solution' and it cannot be used as the correct way to solve the root of this problem. It's working 'somehow' and it is NOT the clean and systematic solution. It is provided "AS IS" without any type of guarantee :) But, feel free to send me the PM if you will need to discuss something :)

The background:

I've received lot of game logs from our members and/or regulars that are connected with the issue - unexpected crash of the game mostly few seconds before map end or directly after new map has begun. I and few of my friends spent lot of sleepless nights with main intention - to find the reason and to find the solution...

Finally, we have 'something' and we can share with you our experience and hopefully it will help to you to solve this issue. To be correct, it's not real solution, but it's like magic wand and it works somehow:)

as many of you have seen, directly after game crash you can recognize new file under your etpub folder (mostly C:\Program Files (x86)\Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory\etpub) with the name "etpubc_crash.log". When you will open this file, you can see a few lines... - decently - Graeca sunt, nōn leguntur! Ok, important part is this:

Exception: Access violation (0xc0000005)

...this is matter of an exception ...wall of text... I think that this is not important for you, but if someone want to trace it, it's connected with function "re.RenderScene"

The solution: (or better, few steps that has been confirmed by a few of the players and it works on my side and also on side of my friends)

let's begin - short fairytale :)

1. always make sure, that you have enough of memory to run your ET (it means that you hunkmegs, zonemegs and etc are not above your current free memory value).

2. delete all of "cvar_backup<number>.cfg" in your etpub folder, if you have it! This files are really unnecessary but it can be forced by the server to create them during the game.

3. make sure, that you have up-to-date graphic card driver (this issue is mostly connected with some ATI graphics cards)

4. open your config files and replace all of 'seta' variables by 'set'! (it means all of your config files! It means, under your etmain\profiles\<yournickname>etconfig.cfg and same under etpub folder!)

Example:

replace:

seta rate "45000"

by this:

set rate "45000"

and etc with all of this 'seta'  - it means, that all 'seta' must be replaced by 'set' ...

5. make your config files read only! (in win = right muse button and check "read only". it's because ET will try to rewrite this config files. But, this is not important until you will need to change something from the game :)

6. run your ET as "Owner" (= with administrator's permission)

Really, we (I and my friends) still don't know (or better, we don't have exact proof), why this 'seta'/'set' are the key of solution, but tbh, for us was important, that this solution really working and hopefully it will work for you also :)

I will be really glad if you will write us your own experience with this. Your comment will be used for improvement of this 'howto'. Thank you for your participation :)

Edited by Eagle_cz
  • Like 3

• Eagle_cz pinned this topic
  • 1 month later...

ok .. if you want to, i can take a look on it ..... catch me on the chat and run your teamviewer ...

In general - if you will follow "excactly" things above, I will be really surprised if you will notice this problem again ...

Guest bamby

2. delete all of "cvar_backup<number>.cfg" in your etpub folder, if you have it! This files are really unnecessary but it can be forced by the server to create them during the game.

Any idea why its even doing that or can it be disabled server-side? I think I have played on other servers that force certain cvars, but I do not recall them creating these files. Even if I changed all of the values to the ones this server forces in my autoexec.cfg it still finds violations and creates the backup. For example, I got r_drawfoliage "0" in all of my configs, but somehow it still finds a cvar violation..

I think that this cannot be disabled on server side directly. When the server forces some cvars, client must decide what to do with 'old' cvars...

this setting was good for ETPro, but i am not sure, if it's working under etpub ...

set b_backupcvars "0"

@random

6 hours ago, random said:

Hacked.

yes, but only persistent accounts. So, when you will run it only without installation and you will use one time generated ID & password, where is problem ? ... Your reaction is right, it's important to stay safe. But, how many windows pc were also hacked and min. 70% ppl here still using it ? So, don't worry ...

On 14/4/2016 at 1:59 AM, Eagle_cz said:

number>.cfg" in your etpub folder, if you have it! This files are really unnecessary but it can be forced by the server to create them during the game.

I have 686 of them, is it bad ? :D

19 hours ago, Eagle_cz said:

But, how many windows pc were also hacked and min. 70% ppl here still using it ? So, don't worry ...

70 % still using it. Does this improve security somehow? Does it really matter if 10 or 10000 PC-s were affected?

All i'm sayin is that there are alternatives to tv.

Off topic.

And who's to say that those alternatives are more secure and provide the same level of usability?

Security depends on a large part on the end user's password management. In TeamViewer you can set your own personal password and if you pick a decent one it will be virtually impossible to get hacked :) + if you're really that scared of a breach you should make sure that TeamViewer is only running when you need it.

If you're curious about what a "safe" password is you can use this website to find out: https://howsecureismypassword.net/

In belgium there was a campaign that encourages users to use a "passphrase" instead of a "password". Go to the website above and type in "photoshop" and then type in "iamaphotoshopper!", you will notice that the latter is more secure. The reason why longer passwords are more secure is that it takes longer for them to be cracked by a brute force attack. A brute force attack goes over every possible password combination untill it has found the right password and gains entry to the account it's attacking.

Edited by miraro3