FPS cap on beginner

Hi, 

i was wondering if someone could have a look if you can erase the forced FPS on beginner. (It's limited on 125, wich pretty much sucks for everyone who can render more :stop:)

It never bothered me, cause i thought we would return to pub at some point, but seems like beginner is the new place to be, so maybe interesting to change it. 

Maybe it's a nitmod thing, but just a request to have look if something is forcing it in the etconfig file. 

Edited by PurpleHaze

A bit off topic but can't the human eye only register like 60 fps? So anything that can go higher is just a waste of money. I heard that somewhere on the internet so it must be true :D 

I'll see if I can change it, if not I'll tell @Niki I broke the server :) 

EDIT/

I changed it from 85 to 333 in the 3 etconfigs but it did nothing and it's still locked at 125, so I dunno where it's reading that from. At least the server isn't broken heh. @Eagle_cz

Edited by Charlie

it could be in the serverconfig and don't believe everything you read on the internet lol. 60 fps or 250 fps, biiiiiggg difference :p Try smoking some weed, you'll be able to see every single one of those frames. 

23 minutes ago, Charlie said:

A bit off topic but can't the human eye only register like 60 fps? So anything that can go higher is just a waste of money. I heard that somewhere on the internet so it must be true :D 

I'll see if I can change it, if not I'll tell @Niki I broke the server :) 

EDIT/

I changed it from 85 to 333 in the 3 etconfigs but it did nothing and it's still locked at 125, so I dunno where it's reading that from. At least the server isn't broken heh. @Eagle_cz

I'm with u charlie and I know that others will eat me due this, but I think that 125 is more than sufficient. Higher fps = higher traffic needed for sync and comm between server/client which mean that server will have to 'care' about more needed resources than in this way. For sure, if it have a free resources, gigabit uplink to the internet and resources are not shared for other purpose, than i can imagine to do that. But in our current scenario, im more for to let it be as it is now :sofa:

• 3 weeks later...
On 30-8-2018 at 4:29 PM, Eagle_cz said:

I'm with u charlie and I know that others will eat me due this, but I think that 125 is more than sufficient. Higher fps = higher traffic needed for sync and comm between server/client which mean that server will have to 'care' about more needed resources than in this way. For sure, if it have a free resources, gigabit uplink to the internet and resources are not shared for other purpose, than i can imagine to do that. But in our current scenario, im more for to let it be as it is now :sofa:

Isn't the FPS the amount of Frame Per Second something that is rendered by the Client completely? The load should be completely on the Client's GPU. The Client will not send more packages to the server if it has to render more frames in a shorter time. There are different settings that limit the package rate anyways I think.

And, hi! :D 

1 minute ago, miraro3 said:

Isn't the FPS the amount of Frame Per Second something that is rendered by the Client completely? The load should be completely on the Client's GPU. The Client will not send more packages to the server if it has to render more frames in a shorter time. There are different settings that limit the package rate anyways I think.

And, hi! :D 

You're correct but with higher fps you need more packets that will keep the client side synchronized. That can cause lags on higher server load.

And hi btw ;) what about to come back? :sofa:

On 17-9-2018 at 8:43 PM, Eagle_cz said:

You're correct but with higher fps you need more packets that will keep the client side synchronized. That can cause lags on higher server load.

And hi btw ;) what about to come back? :sofa:

If there actually is a higher server load, which I still doubt, it would only be caused by clients who actually can render those higher FPS. I'm guessing a whole lot of players will not get to those numbers anyways. Capping the limit will annoy the few players who actually want to increase their FPS (and know how to, let's not forget that there are a lot of people who aren't that familiar with tweeking their CFG).

Maybe you should just give it a try and see if the server suffers from it or not? It's easy to reverse and I'm sure you'll make some people really happy in the process :D 

I don't have time for gaming these days so a come back won't be possible haha. (If anyone catches me gaming -> it's not because I have time, it's because I have the bad habit of procastinating, don't encourage me :D )

On 30.8.2018 at 5:29 PM, Eagle_cz said:

FPS limit should be at least 240 as people may have 240hz monitors. 

• 3 years later...

People should understand that on older engines, such as the Quake 3 engine used by ETL, FPS isn't unlocked from the rest of the non-rendering logic. So FPS does affect how many packets are sent (it's not a one-to-one relationship as there are various multipliers that are used). It gets weird, for instance you will send more packets at 100fps than 125fps.