Jump to content

Internet skill


Recommended Posts

Hello all,

First of all congratulations for having the best etlegacy server and community.  Thanks to their efforts, this game is still running after so many years ^_^

I'm a player from the etpro 3.2.6 mod era. More or less, I started playing around 2006 and quit around 2013 if I remember correctly. Then I came back to play when the pandemic started from time to time on weekends. And now I'm still playing but I'm thinking about saying goodbye for good.

I don't know if it has ever happened to you when shooting at an enemy, distracted or in 1vs1, that the hit, even aiming at the head or body, is not effective. It's like there's a pause between hits and obviously the accuracy drops.
And I say it is not effective because sometimes the exact opposite happens to me, depending on the player, the "hitrate" of the shots are more followed and this makes it possible to have more "acc".

Once, a Portuguese player mentioned the term "internet skills" and it made me quite funny because in the past at the time of clanbase.net it was mentioned that the Israeli players were unhittable's and this reminded me of it.

Nowadays in my opinion this happens and players with midexperience in the game get a very high "acc" and a SR 😞 
You follow them as a spectator and they don't have a great game, only that their hitrate is effective vs the enemy.

I have tried many cfg's over the years , I have changed pc's and internet to fiber optic. But it's always the same...

I have it clear, for me the term "internet skills" does exist, but I wanted to know what do you think?

P.S: Sorry for my bad english 😛 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can't speak for the rest as I play with around 200ms ping.  I do experience this weird inconsistency as well. There are times where my shots would land as I expect and my accuracy would be unreal (for this ping anyway). Then there are those times where every other enemy player (not just those with good strafing skills) seem to glide past my bullets and the blood splatters show up far behind my target.

It's all down to a combination of relative skill, play style, antilag implementation, frame rate, frame lag, input lag, and network lag.

The sentiment from scrim players is that ETL's antilag system is better than ETPro. Bullets land where they should and headshots are much easier to land. After playing on the Hirntot ETPro server, I have to agree with them.

Perhaps you can watch the shape of the lagometer graph to get a feel of the consistency of the network lag. A flat bar indicates a very stable ping and considered good: firstly, the game client can predict and render the enemy position more accurately; and secondly, hit sounds arrive at a consistent rate so you can micro-adjust your crosshair as you track the enemy's head.

Frame latency is an interesting issue. Recently, I noticed that just having Firefox running in the background makes the graphics jerkier and laggier, even though my FPS counter is stuck at 200. Even though we have powerful computers in 2022, we have everyday apps like web browsers that use GPU acceleration for graphics which can compete with the game for rendering resources. For reference, I have an AMD Ryzen 3800X (8-core) and an AMD RX6900XT card.

Play style is worth mentioning here. If you get into good positions and catch the enemy unaware from the side or from behind, your accuracy will improve dramatically as enemies are not strafing and firing back at you.

I hope you can continue to find enjoyment regardless and stay for a while :)

Edited by StiffWrists
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have exactly the same feeling as you Seekah  and a bit of the same experience: Etpro and 3vs3 or 5vs5 game.

It's obvious on the big server, you shoot and sometimes it doesn't hit. When I switch to the small ET2 server, it's really more pleasant. It hits!

Each time I look at the "snaps / rate" of the players, I change my settings, I try to optimize (rpicmip etc..).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/2/2022 at 5:05 PM, lost said:

Hello

After big crash of the el1 i have a problem with connection. To be precised i did not feel any lag problem or something but my lagometer in game is showing strange things. There are from time to time some red spikes. It did not occur before the crash. 

I know that screenshot is cuted, but if some1 is using lagometer it will know what im talking about

image.png

I experience same red spikes mentioned by Lost. Not sure if its because of my connection or server and how it affects shooting?

Another thing i noticed on ETL is bullets registering with delay? Like you can run behind wall and actually die behind wall due bullet registering delay? That was something new for me that i did not experience in other servers.

Another things is the famous hitboxes compared to animations. Like at certain times the registering hitbox is in different place than head model. You can have ur crosshair on head and miss shots because the actualy registering hitbox is not matching with animation. Someone very "skilled" that has mastered the hitboxes. Basically the more u can make ur hitboxes mismatch the animation the harder you will be to hit.

Here is some info about hitboxes: https://enemyterritorytips.wordpress.com/2008/11/22/hitboxes-in-enemy-territory-et-pro-reyaip-report/

Edited by uips
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, uips said:

I experience same red spikes mentioned by Lost. Not sure if its because of my connection or server and how it affects shooting?

Another thing i noticed on ETL is bullets registering with delay? Like you can run behind wall and actually die behind wall due bullet registering delay? That was something new for me that i did not experience in other servers.

Another things is the famous hitboxes compared to animations. Like at certain times the registering hitbox is in different place than head model. You can have ur crosshair on head and miss shots because the actualy registering hitbox is not matching with animation. Someone very "skilled" that has mastered the hitboxes. Basically the more u can make ur hitboxes mismatch the animation the harder you will be to hit.

Here is some info about hitboxes: https://enemyterritorytips.wordpress.com/2008/11/22/hitboxes-in-enemy-territory-et-pro-reyaip-report/

In my case the problem was with my wifi extender. It was causing these red spikes on lagometer. I started using direct connection to my main router and problem vanished. And im too sometimes experiencing these "delayed" bullets efect, for example im running from enemy who is shooting my back,im trying to hide behind the wall or other object and when im thinking that im saved im getting last hit, but im sure enemy cant see me or something. This is weird

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Red spikes in the lagometer indicate your ET client is missing/dropped packets. It could be due to any number of network related issues occurring along the path from the game server to your computer. I personally would not play a multiplayer FPS game over wifi (which is subjected to interference) to avoid what Lost experienced.

I believe the infamous hitbox issues have been mostly addressed in ETL. There is also a suggestion in ETL's project page to implement capsule hitboxes (used in Quake Champions) that can better approximate the player body shape so that the apparent size of hitboxes on screen doesn't vary depending on where the target is facing.

The 'getting shot from behind a wall' effect is due to how antilag works. What actually happened is that you were already hit before you ducked into cover, and the hits registered late for you.

With antilag, the server maintains a history or timeline of where every player is and every shot taken in a a short time period. The server then performs something called 'reconciliation' that resolves each hit in this time window and then updates every client of the result. This introduces a bit of delay in order to make the game somewhat fairer and far more playable at higher pings. Without this, players would have to lead their shots, in proportion to their ping times. Maybe there is something about the calculations involved that makes 90ms players particularly hard to hit.

The following video provides a nice visualisation of this process:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EwaW2iz4iA

 

Edited by StiffWrists
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Ralaoups said:

I have exactly the same feeling as you Seekah  and a bit of the same experience: Etpro and 3vs3 or 5vs5 game.

It's obvious on the big server, you shoot and sometimes it doesn't hit. When I switch to the small ET2 server, it's really more pleasant. It hits!

Each time I look at the "snaps / rate" of the players, I change my settings, I try to optimize (rpicmip etc..).

It might be due to the fact that ETL2 runs on snaps/sv_fps "40" and ETL1 on "20" value. Higher snaps value improves the hit registration (to make it simple, it's something like 64 vs 128 tick in CS:GO or Valorant). So the hitreg on ETL2 will be always better, not mentioning the higher load on ETL1 which makes players lose packets, etc. ETL1 can't run on snaps "40" because the load is too big (too many players).

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • TeamMuppet coin 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, StiffWrists said:

Red spikes in the lagometer indicate your ET client is missing/dropped packets. It could be due to any number of network related issues occurring along the path from the game server to your computer. I personally would not play a multiplayer FPS game over wifi (which is subjected to interference) to avoid what Lost experienced.

Connection with cable. No red spikes when there are less players. Full server with lots of activity increases frequency of these spikes. So far have not had any problems or issues with connection in general. Always thought its due insane amount of stuff happening at server because of high player count. Packets setting is x2 if it makes any difference

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, uips said:

Connection with cable. No red spikes when there are less players. Full server with lots of activity increases frequency of these spikes. So far have not had any problems or issues with connection in general. Always thought its due insane amount of stuff happening at server because of high player count. Packets setting is x2 if it makes any difference

Yes it's probably due to an overload on the server's total available upstream bandwidth or the bandwidth between you computer and the server. My foreign connection is much worse than everyone in EU, so it reaches the threshold much quicker.

Not only does it occur more frequent with more players, It is worse in open maps (or buggy maps like erdenburg) where everyone is sort of visible according to the server's determination and every player state has to be broadcasted to every connected client. All those spectators don't help too.

This is typical for me in the first stage of decay.

No red spike, but lots of late packet delivery producing a very jerky experience. In these maps, I have to play entirely on instinct/muscle memory than actually trying to achieve pinpoint aiming on a moving enemy.

decay-lagometer.png.177baa721414746edab1d7cb63b362cc.png

 

Edited by StiffWrists
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello everybody again,

Your opinions are very interesting. I've unfortunately made a decision and I'm going to stop playing Enemy Territory. It's been a few days since it stopped being fun and it's making me angry because of the big, from my point of view, disadvantage I see with other players whose hitrate is "clean". 

After trying many configurations and modifying my router with a QOS system. I give up.

In the end a game is about having fun and having a good time and even if I wasn't playing competitively, there is always that competitive feeling during the game. That's why it's affecting me negatively not finding a way that is acceptable for me to have a hitrate like those players who from my point of view do.

So without further ado, thanks to all of you that I have been able to play on Team Muppet servers, with or against you, and above all to those responsible for keeping ET alive.

Greetings and maybe sometime very sporadically I'll come in to play and shoot some shots. I'll see you :bye:

  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...