Map lengh

Hello TeamMuppet Community ! 

Recently, I've experienced something that leaves me a bit bitter...

At the end of a map, we're having the possibility to make a map vote, the majority wins and the map who gets the most vote is chosen and played. Until here, all is fine and that's very fair
But once we're on that map, that majority has chosen, I did note that some players enjoy ending that map in less than 3 minutes like it's a full competition.. and that leaves me (and after some talk with some other players, i'm apparently not alone) a bit bitter because we would like to enjoy a little more the map we have chosen to play, it's a bit sad to choose a map and end it in 2 or 3 minutes  because some 100% objective players have decided to end it (while probably some of them also appreciate that map).
These players should maybe go play competitive if they want to play for obj absolutly.

Here comes my suggestion : Would it be possible to maybe make a system where a map must be atleast 5 or 6 minutes long ? Like, obj is blocked for 5 or 6 minutes then if they want to end it they can 🤷‍♂️
Because when we're playing a map (that I like a lot) like Beach ,Erdenberg ,Adlernest or even Braundorf (the last in date as it's the one that made me write this topic) or even some others i don't have in mind currently, it's been 3 or 4 times out of the last 10 I've played on these maps, where the map ends so fast that none player have made more than 10 kills.. 

I wish you all a good day/evening/night and I hope you'll take my suggestion as something constructive 😏🤝

Cheers, 

Mxt0r

Edited by Mxt0r

I was there yesterday when Adlernest was finished with time of 3 at the end screen. I didn't like that, but didn't mind too much as its not my favourite map. If same happens on beach invasion, it really annoys me because ei like the map a lot and would like to enjoy it.

So I agree with you, very short maps like that are annoying and don't really add to enjoyment of the game, especially if you're on loosing side. 

That said, I don't really like timing the objective "lock" idea. It just doesn't sit right with me. Maybe because I've seen some discussions about limiting this and that and changing things to make people play certain way (begginers medic) and maybe this suggestion is just little over the line of me liking the change. 

Of course that's my opinion. In general, it seems like reasonable suggestion 🤷

I think this is too preferential to ever happen, like making people play the way you want to play until they're "allowed" to play how the game is meant to be played. It's also not practical and will stack the defending teams, because for 5-6 minutes it's just target practice for them

The only time I see it end this quick is when attack is very stacked or the defending team has players who are fixed to a spot looking for easier kills. Example for Braundorf once Allies have flag and gate. Axis camp the gate but Allies all switch to CP. Axis don't move back to OBJ because rather get easier kills at gate. There's no rule to say you have to go back and defend OBJ but if you choose not to then you'll have to accept the map might end quicker

I agree, it's a shame when good map ends fast but that happens infrequently and if you're defending but don't care about OBJ you can always change your position/play slightly and make the map last longer yourself. Or if you're in a very good attacking team, move over to defending to even the teams and make the game last longer

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, knuX said:

I think this is too preferential to ever happen, like making people play the way you want to play until they're "allowed" to play how the game is meant to be played. It's also not practical and will stack the defending teams, because for 5-6 minutes it's just target practice for them

The only time I see it end this quick is when attack is very stacked or the defending team has players who are fixed to a spot looking for easier kills. Example for Braundorf once Allies have flag and gate. Axis camp the gate but Allies all switch to CP. Axis don't move back to OBJ because rather get easier kills at gate. There's no rule to say you have to go back and defend OBJ but if you choose not to then you'll have to accept the map might end quicker

I agree, it's a shame when good map ends fast but that happens infrequently and if you're defending but don't care about OBJ you can always change your position/play slightly and make the map last longer yourself. Or if you're in a very good attacking team, move over to defending to even the teams and make the game last longer

Most time I see complaints (even from defending team) that Allies just camp and dont attack enough. Good example is GoldRush. So I think artificially making maps longer serves no good purpose. People like to play objective and how can we deny them to do it? There is more freedom to stop them at defending team for example. We have servers for 1vs1 or surely we can find some 3vs3 or 6vs3 map that is just shooting map and without objective (similar to valhalla 1vs1). 

There is no better feeling than keeping enemy away from the objective the entirety of the maptime (not happening so much today because we have base time + added minutes for completing objectives system) and also no better feeling than sneak in braundorf through with covert in disguise and engineer to plant the main objective and see axis in chaos moments later.

Currently we have blocked doors for coverts in Bremen (not getting through to steal objective) and Caen and Im not personally fan of this. Sneak through and do some backline objective in 20vs20 server is not so easy task .. and happens so rarely that it should be applauded. But ending maps quick shows weakness in defence because we dont have any map that can somehow ended quickly with very good defence (I think Praetoria 2 is possible to win by Axis prematurely when they destroy tank enough times before it even reach main compound doors.

Edited by Ctrz
TLDR: go defending team & defend better. No obj can be rushed when there is even a slightly reasonable defence in place.

Map ends too quickly because defensive team top fraggers goes camping near enemy spawn instead defending objective.Noone else besides those rambomedics enjoys that,doesnt matter what map is on.Its objective based game.Knux had good suggestion how you can make it longer.

• Like 1

I agree with you that rushing maps is annoying, but the thing has been said already, when this happens it's just because axis (or defending team) don't do well on defending obj.

100% objective players have the same rights to play their way as 100% frag players or 100% bazooka players

Okok I listen and understand your answers guys ^^ 

And you re right but i have an example on Beach where I first save the obj and the 2nd Time with all explosions and co, i didnt hear that obj was taken and ended a few seconds later and the Map ended in total After .. yeah 2 or 3 mins :D so we clearly had a problem of defense but I couldnt be everywhere and sometimes i try to défend but its hard 😛

I understand your points and will try to even the thing ^^ 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mxt0r said:

Okok I listen and understand your answers guys ^^ 

And you re right but i have an example on Beach where I first save the obj and the 2nd Time with all explosions and co, i didnt hear that obj was taken and ended a few seconds later and the Map ended in total After .. yeah 2 or 3 mins :D so we clearly had a problem of defense but I couldnt be everywhere and sometimes i try to défend but its hard 😛

I understand your points and will try to even the thing ^^ 

The point of making stolen objective notification more noticeable is a thing we could look into. I know that Oasis map had add-on that spammed more text when tunneldoor was open.

• Like 1

I don't see any point in playing ET (even pub) if you are not trying to win/defend the map. Why would anyone play engineer if there is no point in moving the map along? Also, what's the problem with moving onto another map?  It can be equally frustrating for "objective" players when others in the team are not focussed at all on achieving/defending the objective.

Beach can be incredibly frustrating as an allied player just getting spammed on the whole time or shot from a distance by someone high... the only reward from an allied perspective is to win the map through the objective. 

Some of us are not good enough to play 3v3 or 6v6 or simply don't want to return to competitive play.

BTW, love having players as skilled as Mxt0r playing on the server... long may it continue, even if the maps end quickly

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The main issue you're describing comes down to 2 things: team balance and play styles.

While we always try to keep the teams balanced as much as possible and shuffle when maps end too quickly, it also depends on what kind of players are distributed in the teams. If there are too many fraggers on a team, they tend to not do so well as they don't care about the objective and just want to frag.
And therein lies the problem, it's public objective based game so if they don't want to play the game how it's intended, the other side who plays to win will beat them. So as this is a public objective server, your best bet would be to change your playstyle.

As for objectives being taken or planted which isn't very noticeable at times, we're working on something for that. Stay tuned! :wink: