I suck at aiming

Gulaschkanone

Hey there,

I have a kinda weird request: how can I improve aiming on technical level (without cheating, of course)? I have the feeling I have to predict where my opponent will be in 0.5 seconds to be able to hit. I also miss the non-moving enemy while aiming at his head which is pretty weird to me. I cannot rule out I'm having eye issues, though 🤣.

My regular ping is 5 - 10 ms, which should be sufficient. Or am I facing some technical limitations in the game engine, probably caused due to its age?

I don't know how relevant it is in this day and age but here's something from someone who played half decently years ago.

Besides that I would just suggest keep playing. The more you play the better you get. The better your opponents the better you get. Apparently m00f has a config which makes you play like a god or something too, see if that kind of config is to your liking.

• Like 1

I think tinkering around with sensitivity settings is a beginning. Do you move mouse smooth and to the place where you want or overshoot/miss the mark? Also figure out what crosshair you like. Everything that is annoying you while playing (resolution of game, picmip, gamma, sensitivity, cg_drawgun, crosshair size/shape/color etc) is taking your focus away from shooting and aiming and you miss enemy much more. :)

Also - aim body first and when you have collected some musclememory how to aim/counteraim and focus the shooting on enemy and you really can hit it well (over 30% accuracy perhaps?) then build up musclememory on aiming heads. 

Good config dont make you better, practise does. Gaining confidence does. :) 

• Like 2

Always keep your aim at the head level. Will help you to get those headshots.

Also someone elses sensitivity won't be perfect for you. You need to find what feels natural for you and just practice with it. Usually lower sensitivity helps your accuracy but in return you won't be able to do any speedy turns. So ideally find something in the middle.

Also you can adjust your up/down sensitivity so it doesn't have to be as fast as left/right. Generally you'd want less movement up/down than left/right.

Edited by Sebast1an
  • Like 1

Thanks to all for your input.

I just wanted to give a short heads-up. I lowered by in-game sensitivity and DPI of my mouse and chose a smaller crosshair. IMO that gave me better aiming already. Now I "just" have to practice with people above my skill level but not that far out :D.

seta cg_crosshairsize 42  (im playing with 36 atm :P )
seta cg_drawCrosshair "5"
sensitivity 1.1
1200 DPI's
1000hz
windows sens 6
m_pitch 0.022
m_yaw  0.022

if this wont help try

sensitivity 2.4
400/800 DPI's

this is the best balance i can get after all this years playing but like Sebas said

20 hours ago, Sebast1an said:

Also someone elses sensitivity won't be perfect for you. You need to find what feels natural for you and just practice with it. Usually lower sensitivity helps your accuracy but in return you won't be able to do any speedy turns. So ideally find something in the middle.

try this game maybe will help you with sensitivy + dpi's ;)
its free
https://store.steampowered.com/app/757240/Aimtastic/

good luck :)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I would like to raise question/point.  When I view some people playing who have a worse ping than I do. I notice they have 0 delay (like they are hosting server).  Example Trauma, he is from Israel with a ping of 100 but when he hit the fire button its instant, if i do same thing i have 1-2 second delay. I would like to stress I am Not picking on Trauma or saying he is cheating or doing anything wrong what so ever. I just used him as an example because he has a ping of 100 and mine is about 50 as well as being an excellent player. How come he has no delay? AND in some cases I run faster than my bullets (Very frustrating). I think my aim is very good but its the delay issue.  I have to try to hit someone 5-10 feet in front of them to hit them (bloody hard to do with skilled players). I have set everything to as low as it can be FPS to very high.  Any suggestions to improve this issue would be much appreciated. Thanks all.

Edited by ::: ET UK POWER