Legacy needs a bigger boat

Dear friends!

ETLagacy server is going great these days! At evening time the server is pretty much stacked and players are waiting in the Q to connect.

I think we need to make some rules about spectators/inactive players etc.

Do we need to kick those guys who aren't active but stays for more then 30min in spec?

or

Second option:

Is their any possibilty to make a 2nd ETLagacy server with a redirect when server 1 is full?
Same settings etc..

Please give ur opinions boys and chickas!

Just posted this in other topic haha.  Thought 30 mins as well but then thought if server is full is 30 mins too long?

“Could you do a timer for specs eg if they are spec for 10 mins when server is full they are auto disconnected? Then password for tm members to connect to spec to control server?”

in terms of second server do we think it would be viable to have a second server? I mean if one is full will there be enough people to make second server worth staying connected or will they leave due to lack of players?

maybe option a message to invite to etpro public or event server? 

12 minutes ago, PREMEDITATED said:

Just posted this in other topic haha.  Thought 30 mins as well but then thought if server is full is 30 mins too long?

“Could you do a timer for specs eg if they are spec for 10 mins when server is full they are auto disconnected? Then password for tm members to connect to spec to control server?”

in terms of second server do we think it would be viable to have a second server? I mean if one is full will there be enough people to make second server worth staying connected or will they leave due to lack of players?

maybe option a message to invite to etpro public or event server? 

We can't send them to etpro the lvl between those 2 servers is to high
2nd point. Ppl who joined with the "LEGACY" client can not join the "Vanilla" client servers (etpub/etpro/jaymod/...)

About the timer i'm not sure it will work in the spec places we use the iniactivty kick at etpro 2 but it's only avi in the "playmode" zone.

5 minutes ago, Sammow said:

Good idea, but the "back up server" shoud only be there when the main one is full. We should avoid filling 2 servers for 30% instead of filling one 60%

Guess it's possible...  Server would be activated when we hit +- 25 slots.

We expected this discussion haha. 

Second server seems to soon, I agree with sam there, it would only result in less players on server 1, there is no good link to put on et to see another server and there players. (Like for example in trackmania) then this would work cause you can see at all times how many players on wich server.

I say start with kicking specs that are not our own. I would however be careful with kicking high tm members who are in spec to control the server. (Setting levels/talking/speccing players etc).

It's perfectly possible to kick spectators after certain amount of AFK time, the CVAR is g_spectatorinactivity, but it's gonna work against admins/clan members too. Only referees and shoutcasters are immune to this CVAR. 

+ EDIT: CVAR for kicking AFK players after certain amount of time is g_inactivity

Edited by Bystry

I have no problem being kicked for speccing too long. As long as it's not after 5 minutes or when the server isn't full.

Maybe we should wait a bit longer to take measures and see if this peak continues. One swallow doesn't make the spring he. 

yeah i think it's time to discuss this point.

Imo we should make some rules or make a script that kicks specs automaticly after +- 5min inactive.

Maybe we could give the members a shoutcast login so they can't be kicked. Shoutcast is not a big deal.

37 minutes ago, PurpleHaze said:

I'm with sam on this one. Wait a bit to take serious action. For now manual kick seems enough. We only hitted full server 3 times for like 5 to 10 minutes. If this continues ye sure we need more then manual kicking.

Actually an automatic kick is much less "serious" than manual kick IMO. I dunno, a manual kick seems to me more "personal" :D Whereas an automatic kick, it's just... automatic, nobody's responsible for it :D 

@Dmxj You don't need a script to kick inactive spectators, I just gave you a command for that.. g_spectatorinactivity... :facepalm:

Edited by Bystry

@Jessica Here's that nice little topic you were on about lol.

If it's full for 10 minutes then just wait until the end of the map, people tend to leave then. But if it happens across several maps or it starts happening more regularly then it's something we need to address. @Eagle_cz What do you think about kicking specs like we used to? Polite message and all that.

Members on Pub have shoutcaster and I think clan friends have too? I don't remember. Anyway that's something we could do I think if we added the inactivity cvar thingy.

2 hours ago, Dmxj said:

We can't send them to etpro the lvl between those 2 servers is to high
2nd point. Ppl who joined with the "LEGACY" client can not join the "Vanilla" client servers (etpub/etpro/jaymod/...)

About the timer i'm not sure it will work in the spec places we use the iniactivty kick at etpro 2 but it's only avi in the "playmode" zone.

Guess it's possible...  Server would be activated when we hit +- 25 slots.

Yes sorry forgot about the different clients! Duh!

Ah I didn’t know inactivity didn’t work in spec haha. In my old clan we used to manually kick but we would leave a polite message saying. Sorry to kick you from server but people wishing to play takes priority over specs. Join us soon when you are available to play

• Nitmod Admin

I agree with writing a polite message to spectators that are idle for more than 30-40 mins. I know that if I'm not gonna be playing on the server ill just chill for 10-20 mins then I leave to make room for anyone that's waiting. 

Anyway, let's see for now how this will go. 

On 2/20/2019 at 11:57 AM, Dmxj said:

I feel a small rectification is needed here. ET: Legacy clients are able to play on vanilla servers and on all mods except for ETPro. You can also see which mods are compatible on this page. In short, anyone with ET: Legacy can play on ETPub, Jaymod, Nitmod, NoQuarter and Silent.

On 2/20/2019 at 12:36 PM, Bystry said:

It's perfectly possible to kick spectators after certain amount of AFK time, the CVAR is g_spectatorinactivity, but it's gonna work against admins/clan members too. Only referees and shoutcasters are immune to this CVAR.

Starting with ET: Legacy 2.78 and WolfAdmin 1.3.0 the inactivity checking will be handled on the WolfAdmin side, which should fix this issue. This will remove the need for admins to have shoutcaster status, since anyone with a certain permission will not be kicked because of activity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A little contribute to avoid server full when too many members are spectators , is to add private slots for members. The private slots aren't counted as slots for regulars, this mean more free space. Of course it's good the suggestion of g_spectatorinactivity. If it doesn't exist in ET:L let's open a ticket to Timo "Wolfadmin" and ask to add it or wait the neew release. My 2 cents ofc.

Edited by Old-Owl
Happens lol
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/26/2019 at 10:51 AM, Timothy said:

I feel a small rectification is needed here. ET: Legacy clients are able to play on vanilla servers and on all mods except for ETPro. You can also see which mods are compatible on this page. In short, anyone with ET: Legacy can play on ETPub, Jaymod, Nitmod, NoQuarter and Silent.

For my case that is not true, when running 64 bit client no other mods will run. I start 32-bit client only for events (then legacy 2.74), as ubuntu got incompatibilities with the SDL. I think there was a topic in the ETL Forum about. Anyways im not in favor of kicking specs or running another legacy server, there are enough legacy servers out there, it does never hurt to have a view above the edge of the plate (is this english language?) .

4 private slots have been added for you guys and the password is in the management section for it.

We'll get back to you on other things regarding this, but another server probably won't happen.

8 hours ago, Charlie said:

4 private slots have been added for you guys and the password is in the management section for it.

We'll get back to you on other things regarding this, but another server probably won't happen.

Good was talking with @Jaime about this last evening tnx Charlie

But the main problem is still here. 2 different grushes, yesterday we had those 2 maps right after each other. And for april we need some biggers imo. 

Edited by Dmxj

The other day I played Gr_sw -> Supply Night -> Supply -> Goldrush. It was .... well i was speechless. But that's what people wanted to play and it still stayed above a 10v10 all the way through I think. There was some groans but everyone carried on.

While this is more for the maps topic and vote that's upcoming, removing alternate versions of maps would mean us removing the 6th, 7th and 12th most popular maps on the server. If you didn't know what maps occupy these places, would it be wise to remove maps that popular? 

https://et.splatterladder.com/?mod=serverinfo&idx=760479&section=mappool&mpsortfield=games&mpsortdir=desc

Not supporting keeping the maps. I couldn't care less tbh if they are on the server or not, I just want Minas Tirith! Just showing you guys what kind of decisions we might have to make. Never easy :D 

Edited by Charlie

Charlie's right, while you can not agree with playing the same map over and over again, that's what the people on the server want and that's how the voting system works. Democracy baby :D Personally, I don't like for example Fueldump, but I never actually proposed to remove it, because I know many players like it. 

My point is, it wouldn't be wise to remove maps, even versions of the same map, that get voted and played a lot and makes the server popular and busy. 

Edited by Bystry

2 hours ago, Charlie said:

I just want Minas Tirith! 

Well with late activity, more than 30 people online, wouldn't even be too bad right? :laugh:

Why not make an event for it? Minas Tirith, 10 vs 10, Objective focused. Id be joining for sure!